Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unable To Identify British Columbia Postmark On Canada Scott# 277, ?n. Lake

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 309Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 09/26/2022   05:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bmbmbm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was trying to figure out the post office for this postmark, but have been unsuccessful so far.

It looks to be 2 words, with the second word being "LAKE"

The first word seems to end with "N", possibly "EN".
The first letter (or first letter I can see) almost looks like a "U", but I'm unsure.

I'm unable to find anything that fits in my 2016 census lists of cities, towns, villages, etc.

Can anyone help?

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
11005 Posts
Posted 09/26/2022   06:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Some things may always remain a mystery.

Sometimes the mystery can finally be solved...

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36877 Posts
Posted 09/26/2022   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOGAN LAKE

Caveat: Wiki suggests founded in 1960's

GLEN LAKE ?

CDS Circular Date stamp would suggest a 4 letter word, to suit the arc?

Edited by rod222 - 09/26/2022 06:58 am
Valued Member
Canada
199 Posts
Posted 09/26/2022   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Glen Lake to me.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 09/26/2022   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, OK, makes sense to me too. Thanks!
It doesn't appear on my 2016 List of Canadian Cities, Towns, Townships, and Municipalities, or my list of 2016 Census Designated Places.

With further research:
Per https://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/bcgnws/names/2007.html

Glen Lake is currently a "Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less."
"Glen Lake Post Office opened 31 January 1947, located inside the general store; amalgamated as a sub-office of Victoria Post Office 1 June 1964."

Per a Facebook group that came up in searching (not allowed to post the link)
"On June 1 1964, Glen Lake PO became Victoria Sub-Office 44, which operated till closure in 1977."

Does anyone know where to find digitized Post Office receipts/revenues for Canadian post offices (essentially the amount of business a post office had)?

If anyone has access to it, is this office rated in "A Checklist of British Columbia Post Offices" by William Topping?
Valued Member
Canada
43 Posts
Posted 09/28/2022   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glen Lake is in one of the outlying areas of Victoria. Topping rated it as RF-C, so it's relatively common.

As for the receipts/revenues of Canadian post offices, I believe the only source is Library and Archives Canada, but I'm not sure if you'd find anything for a PO as modern as Glen Lake. Ironically, there's quite a bit of this info for very early POs because they were fewer and more research has been done on them. Here's the link to LAC - follow the link to Advanced Search, but in the name of the post office and select "Post Offices and Postmasters" from the drop down list.

https://recherche-collection-search...g/home/index
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05