Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps From Thrift Store. How To Get Them Checked Out

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 539Next Topic  
1 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BigJoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found all these stamps in a thrift store for $5. Where can I take them to get an idea if they are worth anything. Seem like many are fairly old. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I know nothing about stamps.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When in doubt consider this: there's a reason they're at a thrift store for 5$. Sure things get missed and a good stamp could slip through, but judging by the way the accumulation was stores, I don't anticipate anything of value. HOWEVER!!!! I got my start on a $5 Harris Album and I'm forever grateful for that find! Opened my entire world up! See this as a stepping stone rather than the end
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10989 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   11:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with oldboldandbrash, a good start on a new hobby but not significant market value.
Don
Valued Member
Netherlands
11 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fenrik07 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you'll find anything of value, but it could of course be the start of a new hobby if you want it to be. Oftentimes older stamps don't really have to be worth more. At that time these stamps were printed mail was used way more than today, so there are a large amount of used stamps from that era available. The real value in old stamps (we're talking like 19th century and start of 20th century) often lies in it they're mint or not, since the used stamps are fairly common, though there are exceptions to this of course.

Anyways, If you want to know the value of your stamps you could do multiple things. Like identifying all of them yourself using a catalogue like Michel, Stanley Gibbons, or Scott. The prizes listed in the catalogues though is often not what you'd get for a stamp, usually you get about 20 percent of the catalogue value if I'm not mistaken. (Depends on the stanp)

You could also take te collection to a dealer. Quite a few offer an evaluation for value for free.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
795 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found all these stamps in a thrift store for $5.

Quote:
I know nothing about stamps.

These two statements go hand-in-hand. Cheap way to start a hobby, though.
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That old Venezuela album is super cool. That souvenir sheet on its own catalogs for your purchase price. If that album is pretty complete for 20th century Venezuela and in mounts it could be worth a decent amount. Not sure if "segundo centenario" means from 1900-- or from 1959-- (100 years after first Venezuela stamp), --or something else -- but in case the former, Venezuela stamps from before 1940 can have decent value. But if it starts in 1959, not worth too much, although probably more than $5.00.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Saw a few in there that would get you started on a nice space topical !!
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If that album is pretty complete for 20th century Venezuela and in mounts it could be worth a decent amount. Not sure if "segundo centenario" means from 1900-- or from 1959-- (100 years after first Venezuela stamp), --or something else --

In Spanish philately the latter is common. And as you remarked the title reads "second centenary (of the stamps of Venezuela)."
Edited by NSK - 09/30/2022 12:36 am
Valued Member
116 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chiming in to concur that stamp albums from Thrift shops usually do not have much of value. A friend of mine did get an old Harris album from the late 1970's with spots for stamps from the very first issues. All were used and therefore the most the few late 19th and early 20th tamp there was were valued at about $1 - 3 with the vast majority well under 50 cents. Nevertheless the album are great to understand stamp series and get some beauties that aren't obliterated by a cancel. And for 25 cents it was a steal.

I think it worth pursuing yard sales and thrift stores once in awhile and Goodwill has online stamp auctions of items, some of them offering some cool stuff.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 539Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05