Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Office Officials Of 1873

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 498Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
16 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sandman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Scott gives two color possibilities for O-47 through O-56, black and gray black. Do these photos show good examples of the difference?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8299 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The right stamp shows evidence of a dry print, probably off a worn plate.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sandman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rev collector. Dry printing, a bit thinner or thicker ink making the difference in color.
I wondered if their might also have been a difference in paper color.

Perhaps another forum member has better examples in their collection. Stamps that can illustrate why Scott describes this series as coming in two colors, black and gray black............
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8299 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Black and gray black are shade variations, not different colors.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2711 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Continental Bank Note had quite a bit of trouble with the black ink used for the Post Office stamps. Might find an answer in the U.S.P.C.S. Chronicle, try these two links. The first is constant plate varieties, and last is on opaque inks.

http://chronicle.uspcs.org/pdf/Chro...25/19362.pdf

http://chronicle.uspcs.org/pdf/Chro...24/13273.pdf
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sandman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks revcollector. Let me reword my original question.

Scott gives two Shade possibilities for O-47 through O-56, black and gray black. Do these photos show good examples of the difference?

Looked at the first article in the Chronicle. Author was interested in plate varieties , so no mention of color anywhere.

This may just be a subjective thing.................

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2711 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sandman, should have read a bit further, part of the title of the second article is "PRODUCTION PLATE VARIETIES AND THE NATURE OF OPAQUE INKS,
WITH NOTES ON THE POST OFFICE "SCUMMY" PRINTINGS"
Learn More...
United States
10989 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   09:57 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Black ink mixed with white ink = gray
Black ink + dry print = gray (white paper showing through black ink)

Because the above is true, you have to look for signs of a dry print and in this case I think it is fairly easy. Look at the solid areas of ink and not at the overall stamp. A true gray ink would be seen in the solid areas, look at your stamp

Looks black to me in both stamps, hence this is a dry print.
Don
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sandman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you littleriver. I took your advice and read the second excellent chronicle article. It was very specific and explained why the faces of some of the post office officials appear gray, but the reverse side is white, and some PO officials have a white background and white reverse.
Summarizing the article, the printer switched to a much thinner black colorant prior to the printing of the Post Office officials. The thinner ink found miniscule spots on the plates to hide from the wiping, hence the grayish background color. The printer was in a rush to meet a deadline, and did not add a thickener to keep the ink from collecting in the miniscule spots on the plates.
The photos I attached at the beginning of this thread demonstrate the varied effects of the two types of black ink.

Thanks again for directing me in the right direction.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2711 Posts
Posted 10/15/2022   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@sandman, took a couple of tries but you're welcome!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05