Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Best Thing To Store/Display Stamps In?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 249Next Topic  
Australia
3 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps2023 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

I've doing a lot of research on what to use to store/display my large stamp collection in and have become very confused at to what would be the best thing!

In my research I find some people say that using stock books with white pages is better than using ones with black pages as the black pages can ruin the stamps in the long term?!? but then others say the black pages are fine as well and won't cause any damage?!?

I've also looked at stamp binders like Vario's range but not sure if that would be a better option?

Can you please let me know what method you are using to store/display your stamp collection and why you think it's the best/safest way?

I look forward to any help you can provide and thank you in advance!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2238 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the answer lies in what the climate is like where you live.

For example, stable humidity in a cool dry area is better than the tropics.

Minimise dust as best you can.

As for black page stockbooks (or hagner/vario etc. sheets), I've been using them for decades without any issues.

In the fullness of time stockbooks should be replaced. Rehousing a collection can be a big task, but your stamps will thank you in the long run.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you say "large collection", I think it's going to depend on how large. Using stockbooks or stock pages is going to cost quite a bit more than, say, an album made of quadrille or blank pages.

So long as you are not recycling used stockbooks, new stockbooks in either color page should be equally preservative. Like any album, they have to be stored in a cool, dry place. The problems always come with (long) periods of high humidity. I would stick to Lighthouse or other major philatelic brands and completely avoid the off-brands.

The Vario sheets can (and must) be chosen to completely cover stamps whereas stockbooks have short pockets that don't cover the whole stamp. So, good quality stockbooks have interleaving pages to prevent stamps on facing pages from catching each other, something not needed with Varios. Still, if you're setting up stamps in date or catalog order, you'll have to plan out using pages with larger pocket sizes to accomodate the stamps that need them. And storage in a cool, dry place applies to Varios also.

Varios are sold in packs of 5 or more of the same size/number of strips. The pages fit in normal ring binders but the Vario binders look great and are good quality. Just don't try to overstuff any binders.

I've probably confused you more than before. Why not buy a smaller stockbook and a five-pack of Vario pages like the six or seven strip size to test them out yourself? I think you'll be able to use both in the future no matter which you decide to use.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8181 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stamps2023, and welcome to this forum.
One way to answer your question would be to mention the "search" button on every page of this forum.I realize that you find an awful lot of answers to your question - reason is that there is no best way. It all depends on your personal taste!
I would suggest to keep your stamps in a stock book and go to some stamp shows. If you see some of the ways others have their stamps, you might find your favorite!

Peter

Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 249Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05