Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mystery Jefferson Stamp - A Used Forgery?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 410Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
10 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add matter314 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All- The pictured stamp came as part of a lot I purchased recently. As to what exactly it is, I'm at a bit of a loss. It clearly has the design of the 19th century 10c Jefferson stamp, but the color is green, not brown, and it's printed on yellowish paper. I'd think of it as an imitation stamp to fill a spot in someone's album, but it has a cancel and slight traces of gum, so I'm wondering if it could be a contemporaneous forgery that was used? If anyone has an idea of where this would could have come from, I'd be curious to hear!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8181 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks almost like a picture, cut out of an album

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 09/29/2022   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cancels can be faked, too. Extremely doubtful that this was used as a postal forgery.

An outright pure wild guess looking at this (ignoring the cancel) is that this was something that could have originated from the Senf Brothers of Germany. Because of the printed "perfs", it possibly could be more likely from their advertising material or an illustration from their journal/magazine. Their forgeries were sold as spacefillers and were mostly marked "facsimile" or "falsch" or somesuch. The perfs and cancel here were added later by somebody else.
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matter314 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your thoughts! Definitely a bit of an oddity I'm not sure what to do with in my collection. I'll probably just tuck it into a stockbook and end up confusing someone else down the road when I pass on my collection!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1518 Posts
Posted 09/30/2022   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this was something that could have originated from the Senf Brothers of Germany

I am not trying to verify the statement quoted except to say, this was likely done outside of the USA, especially if actual size as compared to the real stamp. The USA prohibited the same size reproduction of postage stamps and enforced same with some energy they also went after "stamps" which could be confused for real stamps such as this different color example. Even now, if making true color copies full size, you need to add a "cancel line" to the design.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05