Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clear Sheet Protectors For Storing Sheets Of Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 387Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been looking for protectors for my sheets of stamps. I came across these clear sheet protectors that are archival safe and PVC/acid - free.

Are these (type of) sheets good for long-term storage of stamp sheets?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6855 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   09:58 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There have been lots of discussions on the forum about the benefits and drawbacks of using plastic sheets. You shouldn't need to use such sheets unless you're hinging stamps on pages facing one another.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   10:09 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The terms "archival safe and PVC/acid - free" are merely marketing terms meant to capture sales and are not an indication that any testing or verification has occurred.

The issue with sheet protectors is that they are a double edge sword and it all depends upon the environmental conditions.

But enclosing paper, they create their own 'mini environment inside the protector sheet. For example, if the paper becomes damp the sheet protector will keep it damp far longer than if the paper were allowed to 'breathe'. On the other hand, if the external environmental conditions were to become poor for a short period, the sheet protector will indeed protect the paper inside.

All this being said, you will never find any museum or archive that uses sheet protectors and this should speak loudly to us all.

The over-riding and primary factor in good stewardship is to control the entire environment by keeping it stable. Paper 'breathes' 24/7/365 and is constantly trying to normalize with the atmosphere around it, this is why a stable environment is key. Fluctuating atmospheric conditions drives paper to normalize itself quicker and more frequently. A cool, dry and stable storage environment is paramount; ideally temperatures should be held at a constant 70F with a relative humidity held between 30% and 50%.
Don
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hidalgo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your replies.

So I understand environment is very important. Consider factors other than the environment, what would be the best type of storage for sheets of stamps? I have a few sheets in glassine envelopes, but I am uncertain how they are for long-term storage.

Any recommendations?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6855 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   12:23 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the stamp album manufacturers - Lighthouse, Lindner etc - make binders designed for full sheets of stamps, eg

https://www.nordfrim.com/mint-sheet...0-mm?cur=GBP
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use sheet inexpensive sheet file albums that have glassine storage pockets open on two sides. Quite a few of these albums by Supersafe and Lighthouse are manufactured using poly pages which brings you full circle to the plastics issue. Have never had an issue with glassine.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36803 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have used, and still do, the same protectors (different brand)
in all my albums.
20 years or so, no damage noted so far,
Kept in a safe constant temp environment. (locked cupboards)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3567 Posts
Posted 10/02/2022   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt museums use common hinges. manila stock pages, or glassines. I have seen issues with all three.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9051 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This from the National Postal Museum:

https://postalmuseum.si.edu/choosing-safe-plastics
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 387Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05