Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Example Of Aniline Ink

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
6796 Posts
Posted 03/12/2015   11:43 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Side story...

My oncologist quizzed me a lot about my history because my bladder cancer is almost always associated with smoking. He said out of the hundreds of cases of bladder cancer he had seen I was only the second one that was a non-smoker. As his questioning progressed he asked, "have you ever worked in a textile mill". I said that yes, during my college years I had worked second shift in a dye house to pay for it. "Ah, there you go" he said. It turns out that one of the causes of bladder cancer is aniline dye.

Aniline dye is no longer used to dye textiles due to its hazardous nature but back in the 1970s it was still being used. I ran a large dye beck and every night would dump large buckets of dye into the hopper. Clouds of the dye would go into the air and then the rest of the night blowing my nose produced wonderful colors.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1530 Posts
Posted 03/12/2015   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is "Poonch"? An online dictionary says: "Poonch is a town and a municipal council in Poonch District in the Indian administered state of Jammu and Kashmir."

A far cry from anything Philatelic except that people there may or may not use stamps.

Help this old man out, eh?

-IBFS
All science is either Physics or Stamp Collecting. -- Ernest Rutherford
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 03/12/2015   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Poonch issued stamps from about 1876 to 1895, with the aniline printings dating from around 1887 onwards. (It seems likely that the printers bought small batches of paper and ink from the local bazaar as they were needed. This accounts for the occasional appearance of aniline.)

Poonch was ruled by a junior branch of the ruling family of Jammu & Kashmir, but issued its own stamps. Most of the surviving mail was directed westwards, to destinations in British India

but there was the occasional exchange of mail with big brother, Jammu & Kashmir:

You could visit poonchstamps.com for all you'd ever want to know about Poonch.
Pillar Of The Community
1530 Posts
Posted 03/12/2015   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Poonch is a town and a municipal council in Poonch District in the Indian administered state of Jammu and Kashmir."

people there may or may not use stamps.

Well slap me hard and call me stupid. I knew what Poonch was and didn't even know it.

-IBFS
All science is either Physics or Stamp Collecting. -- Ernest Rutherford
Pillar Of The Community
United States
900 Posts
Posted 02/05/2019   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone tell me if this George VI, from New Zealand, was printed in aniline ink? Out of the couple dozen of these that I have, only 1 exhibits the characteristics. Or could it be bleed through, from soaking? Neither Scott, nor my SG catalog mentions it, that I can see anyway.

(normal stamp on left for comparison)

Edited by spain_1850 - 02/05/2019 06:14 am
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 02/11/2019   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a long wave UV lamp to detect them. It makes anilines illuminate a bright gold color. Nice, but since Scott doesn't indicate anilines very often, I have to test each newly acquired classic before soaking or otherwise subjecting it to moisture. Why don't catalogues do better job here? They do pretty well with chalky paper. And why is there no comprehensive list of aniline stamps? Surely both collectors and dealers would appreciate it.
Eric
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05