Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Remove Mildew Smell From Postcards Stamps And Other Paper Items.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 336Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add olddutch2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently purchased a large amount of paper items including postcards and some have a mildew smell. Does anyone have a good method to remove mildew Smell from postcards and other paper items?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   2:41 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what works for me, almost every time.

1. Place the entire item in a trash bag that also has an open container of ordinary baking soda in it.

2. Seal the trash bag so that no air can get in. Lay it off to the side on the floor or wherever.

3. Wait a couple of weeks. Open it. If no more odor, throw away the trash bag and baking soda. If there is still odor, repeat steps 1 - 3 with new materials.

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36838 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Over the years, the banter I have read,
Moth Balls (Napthalene)
Place a few in a cardboard box, away from stamps paper etc
Close up and leave for a week or so.

Remove, and the odour both of the mildew / cigarette smoke disappears. (along with the napthalene)

Bona fides unknown
Edited by rod222 - 10/03/2022 2:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6867 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   2:46 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cat litter is also often recommended (don't insert cat with cards).
Learn More...
United States
10989 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   2:55 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can build a positive pressure filtering cardboard box by using a muffin fan and a cat box activated carbon filter.

12 Volt muffin fan = $8.00

Activated carbon filter (cat box) = $1.50 each

Mount filter in side of box, place album, in box, mount fan on other side of box. Seal box well to prevent air flow from anywhere but the carbon filter. Use 12V power supply (any old 12V supply will work) or battery pack to power fan.
Takes about 48 hours to remove all smells.

Don

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not heard the term muffin fan in a while.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8178 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore, you must not have eaten any muffins in a while!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read this tip, tried it, and can report that it works:

Get a large plastic box with air-tight lid. Scrunch up newspaper sheets into balls and place inside. Put your mildew-affected items in among the newspaper balls and fix the lid on the box. Leave for a day or so.

When they come out they may smell strongly of newspapers, but that soon goes. In my experience, the mildew smell never returned. Don't ask me how, but it worked.
Edited by Ringo - 10/03/2022 3:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2231 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
johnsim03's advice has worked for me many times in the past.

Rather than a trash bag, I'd have the offending items in a large plastic box, with the open tub of baking soda sitting in that, with the lid closed.

Baking soda is known as bicarbonate of soda in Australia, just in case anyone needed to know!
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
United States
2 Posts
Posted 10/10/2022   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add olddutch2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your ideas and hints. I will give them a try. I know the balled up newspaper works for removing odors from a freezer that went out with food inside. Not a pleasant aroma.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05