Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Being Logged Off For No Apparent Reason

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 262Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1492 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I keep a tab open for SCF and do not log out, there has been no noticeable issue to the practice. Yesterday and again today, I found my self as a "guest" after clicking on new posts. Something similar occurred a month or two ago, now that I think about it.

Both yesterday and today once out to guest land, I could not log in from that tab. Yet I was listed at the bottom of the page which lists such things, as being one of the members logged in on the list of names. BUT when I clicked on duplicate tab and received a new tab, I could long on from that by just clicking the login button. I then went back an closed to old tab and used the new one.

I don't remember what I did to get back on the time some months back but I thought I was tossed for a bad word or post. After a couple of days, I closed the tab. Both Bobby and Don checked and saw no such issue. When I opened a new tab, I could click the login button and I was good to go.

I am not having such a problem on other websites for which I am logged it.

Lastly, mentioned just in case it is related, but on the logged in list of members at the bottom of the page that shows such, I, and several others, do not show in the bold type face; rather we show in a lighter grey colored type face.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1492 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just happened again as I posted this topic. then when I duplicated the tab, instead of getting logged in I was sent to the "nothing to see here" splash page. That occurred three time on three new duplicate tabs. The forth time I was logged in and able to add (I hope) this second post on my thread.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36755 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sometimes, weird errors can be fixed by turning off the computer
wait a few minutes and re boot.
Good luck.
Learn More...
United States
10955 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   4:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Windows 10/11 Users Note:

Do not use 'Shut Down' as a means of rebooting; instead you must use 'Restart' to get an actual reset of your computer.

If you use 'Shut Down' Windows actually creates a deep hibernation file that upon turning the machine back on will enter 'Fast Startup' and use the hibernation file. It will retain much of the same configuration as when you shut it down. You are libel to see the same issues as before you shut down.

Using 'Restart', on the other hand, completely kills all processes, clears the RAM, and clears the processor cache.

PPG, I have not seen this issue and I keep SCF open virtually all day long. I have noticed that when I click on "Hot US Auctions' in the left hand menu, it takes me to the page as 'Guest' that makes it look like I need to log back in. But I am actually still logged in (I can click on any other page link and am still logged in).

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1492 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PPG, I have not seen this issue and I keep SCF open virtually all day long. I have noticed that when I click on "Hot US Auctions' in the left hand menu, it takes me to the page as 'Guest' that makes it look like I need to log back in. But I am actually still logged in (I can click on any other page link and am still logged in).

I will try that if I get "guest" again. I may have but am not certain but will make sure if there is a next time.

I use "restart" normally. I use shut down when I am actually not going to use the computer for a day or more. I also manually close everything open then hold down the power button to turn off the darn thing once in a while.

Edit: I am on a laptop with Windows 10. Have not logged on with the Apple Desktop.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 10/03/2022 7:13 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36755 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do not use 'Shut Down' as a means of rebooting; instead you must use 'Restart' to get an actual reset of your computer.

Duly noted. Thanks Don.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1492 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am still having unexplained log-offs with difficulty logging back on. The pattern I am seeing matches to when the internet here at the house is slow. I am rural, and the lines out here have been and issue for the last 15 years when dial-up was replaced by broadband. Seems the current problem just surfaced when our service was switched to a "new" wire as out old one was, yet again, deteriorated to being nearly useless with static and errors. The "new" wire is one of the seemly slow old ones.

Any way this explains my seemingly random sudden activity followed by periods of radio silence. When the upstream school boots up in the mornings, snail mail is faster.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05