Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coming Soon. Next Generation Stampauctionnetwork

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,716Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have called Droege Computing Services a few times and have only spoken to one person. So.... we are talking about a guy who is doing his best to keep this website running and up-to-date. If there are more people there, they are not answering the phone. Personally, I like the functionality of the site. But then again, I am over 50. Is SAN even 20 years old? I seem to think I've been using it for about that long. Sure, they (he, I suppose) could give it a more modern functionality. Other than making it 'pop' and getting a broader presence in the social media, I think it does fine for what it intends. At least I know I can go on and bid at many auctions without having to re-learn how to go on and bid at many auctions.

As for going back to the previous page, your browser likely has a 'back' hot button(s), or (as I do) get into the habit of mousing around the drop-down menus instead of over them. Or go over them, popping one up, and click on a blank area of the screen to close it and do what you want. I have run into a lot of sites nowadays where the 'auto' drop menu is SOP - just something else to learn how to 'deal with'. (ETA: I think many if the auto-drop-down menus I encounter are at work, come to think of it. But I get them ALL THE TIME and have learned to work with them. Yes, they were annoying at first.)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by mootermutt987 - 10/05/2022 9:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
638 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We each have our individual preferences. If I want to see what's in the dropdown menu, I'll click on it - not much effort required. Instead of having each one pop up if I move my mouse anywhere near and making me constantly maneuver around the popups to get to where I want to go. Maybe I'm not patronizing the right websites, but there isn't a single other one that I can recall that forces me to constantly run around avoiding automatic dropdowns as egregiously as SAN does.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 10/05/2022 7:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9104 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I was alone in being seriously ticked off over the dropdowns. It is beyond annoying, and I use SAN a lot. Luckily, I pay nothing to use it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
798 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who may be interested: https://youtube.com/watch?v=_sp2KIdOyOY
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
589 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there are non-optimized things on SAN, but..... those of us who pay nothing for using SAN have no right to complain about it. Don't like it? Don't use it. Got constructive criticism or suggested solutions? Contact Tom directly.
Pillar Of The Community
638 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly, those of you who pay nothing can accept the admonition not to complain about it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1491 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   6:11 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom has come on here on SCF in the past. The reason he gave for not upgrading the site was that many of their users are older and might have trouble using a more modern site. Personally - as an IT lifer - I can say, that is a risk, but a good web designer makes the interface intuitive and not needing training or special skills. I do hope whatever they are planning includes interface improvements. But like many here - I appreciate the service SAN has provided over the years - mushy interface or no.
Edited by rlsny - 10/07/2022 6:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 10/10/2022   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tldroege to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, for those of you that don't know, StampAuctionNetwork is the original marketplace for Stamp Auctions. I run a software company in the Research Triangle that got started in the 80's writing 25 enterprise systems for Duke Medical center, some which are still in place. So I know technology. I got into the auction business in 1990 when I happened into a need that stamp auction companies had because they didn't have any systems. I personally brought 25 or more stamp auction companies into the digital age starting in 1990 by creating a system where they could handle all their auction needs and use database publishing methods to create their catalogs. So it was my software that made all the major sales of the 80's and 90's possible, the Honolulu Advertiser, the Zoellner sale, and all the Gross sales. StampAuctionNetwork was a by product of that effort that started in 1994 when we started putting all the auction catalogs on line. We were the first to do on-line bidding and live auctions for stamp auctions, and all of our records for most $ paid via an online interface still hold, we sold the $1.9M Hawaii cover to a StampAuctionNetwork live bidder.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 10/10/2022   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tldroege to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
... We are a staff of 6 developers. 4 of us work on StampAuctionNetwork. I do the US and Dave does the international. If you call us, one of us will pick up the phone, often it is me, if I am not out riding my bike.

Next Generation is about reaching the 20-40 year olds. The 40-60 year olds are being reached by our provenance and census tools.

That means expanding our social media presence and going where the next generation of collectors are hanging out. That is what we are figuring out how to do and it has nothing to do with the Collectors Club -- hopefully they are also doing something here -- but we would not be competing with them -- we all need to be doing the work to insure our hobby flourishes.

BUT.... I only came over here to announce our latest auction to benefit the American Diabetes Association. This is our 8th sale and we have raised to date more than $140,000 for Diabetes research. The sale has the best $5 Columbian - a 100J ranked first in the StampAuctionNetwork census. And there are a number of high catalog value Canadian stamps, and more...
Learn More...
United States
11005 Posts
Posted 10/10/2022   10:39 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tldroege,
I have traveled to Duke Hospital (I live in the mountains of NC) and have had 41 visits with them since last June 2022 (last 5 months). I have been going there for hundreds of visits since 2015 and spent over $3 million with them. During the majority of the visits, I listened to the doctors, NP, RN, and other Duke employees complaining about the systems. Countless times that they have not been able to access the info they wanted at the time.

I do not know if this has/had anything to do with your previous work, but I had to chuckle when I read your post.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
659 Posts
Posted 10/10/2022   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I actively work in technology and helped design the first all electronic US options exchange, worked for major hedge funds, and provide very specific high end compute for extremely cutting edge financial services. One thing I never say is 'I know technology' and never trust people who say they do. Last I checked you guys were running Win2012R2 IIS 8.5, running coldfusion. 2012r2 was mainstream end of life in 2018. Going to any unknown 404 page, provides a full stack dump exposing your stack of java,apache, tomcat componentry. Inspecting your headers implies you don't maintain good internet hygiene.

Do I think you run a good service? Yes. Do I think the technology acumen is there? No. Ok, then is it a case like a "simplisitic site" like craiglist is the form factor? No. Its a tech mess, and its not hidden from inspection or being secured from vulnerabilities with any sense of knowledge.

Edited by rismoney - 10/10/2022 11:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6138 Posts
Posted 10/10/2022   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like SAN'S , it works for me for over 10 years ,and dumped over $100,000 thru bidding and maybe another $200,000 in raising bid prices . Works for me and only had a few very minor issues ........as a paying customer, just leave it alone and I will do the same over the next ten years .
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 10/10/2022   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tldroege to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SAP replaced our inventory system and the department people hate it. Epic is replacing the Echolab system we wrote, which was well received and kept by Duke until about a year ago. So for the most part our systems were replaced many years ago -- so it is unlikely you were exposed to anything we wrote to complain about -- unless you had an echolab -- then you were scheduled using our system and your echo is in our system.

Yes, StampAuctionNetwork runs on Coldfusion which while older technology is still supported by Adobe. And allows for rapid development unlike all the newer stuff. We focus on usability for our existing users, most of whom do not like change, and we focus on the data where we have leveraged 30 years of data, 2.5 million auction transactions and 2.5 billion in realizations so that StampAuctionNetwork bidders can get access to very valuable pricing information of real market data.

I have to say it is ironic that people on this board complain about old technology when this board itself is run on tech that is much older than what we use. Just saying.... not being critical. Sometimes an old technology is what you use because it is dependable. Look at the space program. They don't use new technology -- they have to use parts that have years of reliability data.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36877 Posts
Posted 10/10/2022   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sometimes an old technology is what you use because it is dependable.

Still use Microsoft "MSWorks" from 1980
wordprocessor, spreadsheet and database in one.
Use it every day

Windows 7 does all my work, and w10 for surfing.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,716Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05