Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proposed Merger Of The APS And Asda

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 284 / Views: 11,101Next Topic
Page: of 19
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An simple overview:

Quote:
One of the main problems might well be the cost of shipping items back and forth in an accountable/safe manner.

APS certs can have three out and backs at near $5.00 each way. Certified Mail (required) is currently $4 plus a couple of ounces minimum for postage. Three round trips is most of the
Quote:
Given that the minimum cost on any legit cert is roughly $30
plus each examiner gets paid $2.00 for each item reviewed (which is often donated back). Plus the person requesting the cert has to pay for mailing costs to and from the APS.

Start sending things Registered and the costs jump.

Now sending multiple items out together helps cut per item postage costs, but a cert cycle is long enough now without waiting for more items that might come in to ship out together.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 11/24/2022 12:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could see how someone would state that APEX is not much of a money maker for APS and therefore partner with PF and APEX. I have been told the APEX reference collection is quite valuable.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping costs for cert items is a bugaboo so adjust the trigger point upwards to maybe $300 and encourage multiple item submissions. Some action is better then no action.

Whatever happened to eBay's flirtation with requiring certs? Did the big sellers huff and puff and blow it down?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
any well formed reference collection has value. case in point, I was once given a loose leaf binder of inexpensive first issue revenue stamps (several dozens) and told to soak them. at the time and not knowing any better I did and was amazed to find not one sound stamp in the group. this was meany years ago, and the work was very very good. I wish I had it to this day.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8299 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But it was the opportunity of a lifetime. We were the two youngest members of the same stamp club, and so we were given the chance to learn from that collection, which was given to us by a professional philatelist.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whatever happened to eBay's flirtation with requiring certs? Did the big sellers huff and puff and blow it down?

I think the pandemic killed it, at least for the moment. Mostly, it was just talk when it came to stamps anyhow. It was initially proposed for good like shoes and the like. I really don't care because I'm not going to buy anything expensive from some rando stranger on eBay anyhow.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8299 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes random people put up items that they don't realize would be expensive if they knew what they were. In some collecting areas this happens without having to worry unduly about fakes and undesirable manipulations.
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   12:02 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I've not heard much on plans to expand to philatelic material. The eBay Authenticity Guarantee service is still going strong for some items;
https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee/
https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/new...ading-cards/
Don
Valued Member
80 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't yet see a compelling reason APS should absorb ASDA in any formal way. As Scott English's memo states, many ASDA members serve as APS Experts, are APS members, etc. I don't see the ASDA 'brand' as having value at all. I DO see value in the APS brand. As it stands, what would go missing in the hobby if ASDA went away tomorrow? I meant this as an honest question, perhaps someone on here could comment.

Also, Epting's resignation is important. I'd want a clear airing, 'Transparency', as to why Mr Epting resigned. Something is wrong. What, exactly, is it?
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xavierstripe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, Epting's resignation is important. I'd want a clear airing, 'Transparency', as to why Mr Epting resigned. Something is wrong. What, exactly, is it?

Agreed - this comes at a sensitive time, with 'merger' discussions afoot. I feel like it's incumbent on both APS and ASDA to indeed clear the air on this matter before moving forward.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the lack of transparency may be related that some want to maintain business relationships with many involved without being too specific. There are some philatelic figures with tainted backgrounds that still have active business relationships. That is, they are not being shunned as some would have wanted in a business that often relies on relationships.

This may apply to the whole discussion between APS and ASDA. All the discussion may not help either organization no matter the outcome.
Al
Edited by angore - 11/25/2022 06:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
583 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The writing is on the wall, folks. APS should drop all and any further discussions about any form of combination with the ASDA.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with hoosierboy. any parts of the ASDA standards or member benefits not already a part of the APS can either be incorporated or offered after their demise. the APS should concentrate on improving its new and existing core issues.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
656 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I come to the same conclusion hoosierboy.

If you dissect Eptings statement:
3 pieces are noted:
1. "I feel that a strict code of ethics for stamp dealers is of the utmost importance in creating a safe and trustworthy marketplace"
2. "I also believe that a strong organization must be in place to effectively enforce such a code,"...
3. "and that this organization be on sound financial footing and have capable leadership in order to not just survive, but grow in the future"

These statements are often wordsmithed, but you can infer:
1. So this goes to angore's comment about tainted dealers relationships. Big shocker here. Once you flag someone, do you really shun them? Or do you do backdoor deals when you really want something, conceal, and conduct more shady interactions.
2. He feels the current board/association doesn't have the will to do the tasks needed
3. Monetarily they aren't in a position of improving things going forward. Writing on the wall...

Page: of 19 Previous TopicReplies: 284 / Views: 11,101Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05