Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany Allied Occupation Zone Stamp With Shimmery Paper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 260Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
11 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   04:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Fenrik07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So a while back I purchased a large lot of German stamps and covers from all eras of German postal history on Catawiki.
Now there are these greenish yellowish stamps that clearly have a Peace theme. They seem to be different varieties. I'm most curious about the one in the middle. It's slightly larger than the other two and printed on paper that's shimmery/glittery. I don't own a Michel specialized Germany catalogue yet, and I'm curious about what type of paper it is. Anyone have any ideas? I've included a picture, but you can't really see the shimmery effect on it. Only if you hold the stamp up to the light.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
795 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2015/16 Michel specialized shows these varieties:
959a black-grey-yellow to blackish olive-yellow
959aa blackish yellow-olive
959b black-grey-yellow to blackish olive-yellow (UV strong fluorescence)
959c blackish olive-yellow (UV yellowish-, spotted)
959d dark brownish-olive
Can't find any specific mention of paper varieties.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by classic_paper - 10/04/2022 09:04 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
11 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fenrik07 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah it's probably the strong fluorescence then, thanks. Like it was visible in sunlight that strong.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1370 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Shimmery paper" Never heard that term used before. Is that anything like the shine of the glazing as on the frosting on a donut? Both sides or just on the gum side?
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A translator like Linguee will return 'shimmery' for the Dutch word that, philatelically, means 'glossy.'

It will pop up for several Dutch words that could also mean 'glimmering,' 'glittering,' or 'shiny.'

Edited by NSK - 10/04/2022 3:55 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
11 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fenrik07 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't checked the back yet, only the front. I was just going through the stock book cataloguing all of the stamps and when I turned the page I noticed one of the stamps had shimmery details appear in the sunlight while the others didn't.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fenrik07, I think what you are seeing is normal, just a relatively fresh example. In any case, I've seen this often enough with the mark values of this set.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 260Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05