Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cancelling My Subscription To Canadian Stamp News

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,374Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the point is, the human race has, and should continue to, become more civilised. To recognise the terrible things that have happened in history and not celebrate the perpetrators as great people. To use an obvious (and hopefully non-controversial) example, you wouldn't want Hitler commemorated on a new stamp, and wouldn't point out attrocities elsewhere to justify it.

The original post said the comments were historically ignorant. Well I don't think they are.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6867 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   12:25 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most historians seek to look at the past in the correct context. But no history is written without present context as well. Often this addresses the biased writing of the past, for instance, in the work of revisionist historians who provided a belated corrective to the Dunning School's racist writings on Reconstruction. As for Jefferson, Samuel Johnson nailed him and his ilk 350 years ago: "How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"

On the OP's original point, why not accept the article as one person's view - no need to reduce your reading matter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...and not celebrate the perpetrators as great people.

Was QEII a perp?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Often this addresses the biased writing of the past, for instance, in the work of revisionist historians who provided a belated corrective to the Dunning School's racist writings on Reconstruction. As for Jefferson, Samuel Johnson nailed him and his ilk 350 years ago: "How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"

Hmmmmm...who decides what the "correct" viewpoint is?

Pillar Of The Community
629 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to find the article (editorial?) by Jesse Robitaille, but couldn't - I guess because I don't subscribe to the magazine in question. He is certainly entitled to his opinion, but the references I do find suggest that he is the editor of Canadian Stamp News. If that's the case, he presumably has a lot of say, if not control, over what appears in that magazine and how it appears. Therefore, if I were a subscriber, I would also have concerns about whether his opinions influence the content (do the editors of the NY Times or WSJ allow their opinions to influence what appears?).

As far as Mr. Robitaille being ignorant, he may not be with respect to certain less-than-honorable aspects of British history, but he certainly displays symptoms of it when he proceeds to argue against any further issuance of stamps honoring Queen Elizabeth. Since every nation (current or nonexisting), every culture, every people, etc. has at one time or another, subject to the limits of technology and other means at hand at the time, committed dishonorable acts against members of their own society as well as other external societies, I would suggest that the logical conclusion of his reasoning would be that no political or other leading citizen of any country ever again be portrayed on a stamp. We should limit all issuance to pictures of cute puppies and kittens, beautiful flowers, and shots of wonderful galaxies (unless of course there are beings committing oppression in those galaxies).

And as for comparing the issuance of stamps in honor of Hitler with Elizabeth, well . . .
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 10/05/2022 1:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thoughtful ideas...
I should add that the editor of CSN (not Jesse Robitaille) contacted me by phone to discuss the matter. He stated that the article was a commentary, and did not represent the editorial position. I rejoined that, as editor, he was responsible for the paper's content and that there was no disclaimer to indicate otherwise. Nevertheless, I appreciate his diligence and professionalism in contacting me and engaging in a civil dialogue.

When looking for words to re-summarize my position, I found the above entry, written by the Oracle of Delphi, to be quite succinct.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I should add that the editor of CSN (not Jesse Robitaille) contacted me by phone to discuss the matter. He stated that the article was a commentary, and did not represent the editorial position. I rejoined that, as editor, he was responsible for the paper's content and that there was no disclaimer to indicate otherwise. Nevertheless, I appreciate his diligence and professionalism in contacting me and engaging in a civil dialogue.

But why go there in the first place? Seems rather self-indulgent to let your ideological self go full throated in a mainstream philatelic publication meant for all collectors.
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, rogdcam, 771 views and 22 replies (so far) would not indicate my "self indulgence". but rather a communal interest in the topic.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sak - Not YOUR self-indulgence, Jesse's self-indulgence.
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam: thank you
Learn More...
United States
10989 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   05:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sak,

Like you, I tend to 'vote' with wallet and avoid supporting companies whose behavior I disagree with.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6867 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   05:47 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rather than cancelling your subscription over one person's opinion, why not offer to write a rejoinder?
Learn More...
United States
10989 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   05:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And continue down the path of creating political drama in a philatelic publication?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The writer has his right to his opinion and action but discussing it here just drags it out. I do not see how the writer could collect many stamps since these depict countries that committed some atrocity. Why does the death of QEII change the fundamental basis for their opinion? If I had such a view, I would believe that I should not collect any UK stamps.
Al
Edited by angore - 10/07/2022 07:27 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,374Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05