Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott US Stamp 594 Or 596?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 450Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hoarder 51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We all dream of finding a rarity. I had high expectations but if my item is Scott number 594, I'll take it. Hopefully someone with better experience than me can verify which stamp this is. Perf. 11 on three edges, straight edge at top. Measures 19 1/4 mm x 22 1/4 mm.

Thanking you in advance for any information, views, etc will be appreciated.

Thank you to all. I do not have a U.S. special catalogue, only the internet. I've learnt it's not 594 or 596. I do not have another one with perf. 11 to compare to. However, on another site, the dimension for Scott 522 is 22 mm x 25 mm, but mine is 19 1/4 mm x 22 1/4 mm. It was the dimensions in the first place that I looked at 594 or 596. But on line Scott 522 is 22 mm x 25 mm.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Hoarder 51 - 10/05/2022 3:14 pm

Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   5:44 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
This article will tell you why you do not have a 594 Or 596.
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/I...arities.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8292 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is correct, it is neither of those catalog numbers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1351 Posts
Posted 10/04/2022   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The green ink on the gum side of the stamp marks this as a flat plate issue. As I recall, the only flat plate issue of this design was Scott 552.
Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 10/05/2022   4:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hoarder 51,
What website is telling you to use dimensional info to determine the stamp identification?
Don
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hoarder 51 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see why it's Scott 552, as the reasons mentioned. The link to the site I used for information is not permitted. If any one has any information on dimensions for the Franklin and Washington stamps will be greatly appreciated. The different perfs, watermarks, printing type, coils, pre-cancelled is mind boggling. I have accepted I've only got a 552 I will keep checking and searching. Thanks to all.
Learn More...
United States
10977 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   3:35 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Smarter is a great place to start, you could easily spend several days just reading through the Washington/Franklin information.
https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/1847Home.html
There are also great interactive tools for IDing them such as
https://stampsmarter.org/features/S...rank_ID.html
Don

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 450Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05