Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Postmark Information Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 213Next Topic  
Valued Member

Netherlands
84 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Northwinds to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this early India stamp with a curious postmark.
It reads D53 No 28. (not 100% certain about 28)

Does anyone know what these numbers mean and/or what type of cancel this is?

Peter

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a fiscal cancel to me, but I've been known to be wrong in the past...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
165 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This format of Indian postmark is known as a 'Numbered Mail Office' cancellation.

D-53 refers to a stationary sorting mail office that was part of the Railway Mail Service (RMS).

According to India Post, journal of the India Study Circle, D-53 was situated at Muzufferpore (now Muzaffarpur, Bihar State).

'NO 28' is the date. Years were not included at this time in India, but would be around 1890 I believe.
Edited by peterh - 10/06/2022 6:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the red crayon mark hints that it might have been registered?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36838 Posts
Posted 10/08/2022   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Netherlands
84 Posts
Posted 10/08/2022   04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northwinds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much Peter for the clarification!

So no stands for November. I really assumed it was an abbreviation for number.

Edited by Northwinds - 10/08/2022 04:17 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 213Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05