Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Most Influential Philatelists

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,000Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
33 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Thinkstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just had an interesting read with pictures (mainly of dealers but also others in our hobby) at linns.com website. It's a free read.

For me, some well-known and not so well-known people are shown and how they started.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revcollector is on my list.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
540 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Folks - posted this on the wrong thread. I've moved a copy to the APS/ASDA Merger discussion

Is there any information on the ASDA website about which dealers they have actually disciplined or removed from their membership? What good does it do to discipline a dealer if there is not information available to the public?

The APS has a page on their website with information about each member disciplined, when, and why. However, they do not identify which are member-dealers, although a few names can be recognized as dealers.
Edited by mml1942 - 10/06/2022 9:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any information on the ASDA website about which dealers they have actually disciplined or removed from their membership?

In a word, no. Of course, a list is only a list if it has more than one item so maybe they do not have enough content.

I see at least one current ASDA member that is notorious, at least in the past, for bad behavior. Paid the dues no doubt so all is good.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6133 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should have many more names that are missing and a few who shouldn't be on there .

Missing ---Michael Rogers ,Stanley J. Richmond, Richard Drews and Gregg Manning .
Edited by floortrader - 10/06/2022 9:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3099 Posts
Posted 10/06/2022   10:54 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Manning got himself into serious trouble.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9071 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
10986 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   04:59 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion Linn's/Amos is not the best judge of Most Influential Philatelists, they have a vested interest.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36823 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I humbly suggest.....
Bobby (Forum Dad)
and 51 Studebaker.

For years it has been mine, and countless others, a breakfast staple of reading.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Every who's who or top whatever list is biased. It is usually an excuse to sell ad space.

I would put Bill Steiner, google and eBay on the list!
Al
Edited by angore - 10/07/2022 07:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3896 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I fully support Rod's suggestions :)

There are many more from this forum that have provided support to many of us over the years. I have learned so much from this forum. I know I haven't been around much since the transplant but hope to change that in the coming months.

Thanks to all the members currant and past who have helped us newbies over the years.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6864 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   08:02 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Influences? My old man for buying me an album and a packet of stamps from Woolies and sticking them in with me. One of my junior schoolfriends who introduced me to springback albums. The odd book about stamp collecting that taught me something about page lay-out, using black leaves etc. That's about it. Ferrary is fascinating, but he hasn't guided my collecting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8295 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My father got my brother and I started too, but people like Ferrari helped make the hobby the really big deal it has been all these years, so he and other truly great philatelists did have at least some influence on all of us.
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   09:19 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would put Bill Steiner, google and eBay on the list!

Indeed. The revolutionary impact of Bill Steiner to modern philately cannot be overstated. I would add SCF member Clive Levinson as well (because of the tremendous AlbumEasy program), who has enabled countless collectors to do it their own way.

"We don't need no stinking printed album pages - we make them on our own."
- Anonymous

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 10/07/2022 09:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6133 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the list was for LIVING people .

I agree Bill Steiner ,should be on that list .

That list is a mess , got people who have a job or work in the philately business . Just because you got a stamp store doesn't make you a influence . Looking for people who done stuff .....like show up at stamp shows around the country , who write articles and appear in newspapers or magizines . People who created something others use ,that is a influence .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess some would assert that even if you did not know about them they are influencing the hobby. For many it is fellow stamp collectors the influencers never heard about either.

I wonder if it bruised any egos that thought they should be on the list,.
Al
Edited by angore - 10/07/2022 3:56 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,000Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05