Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Paa First Flight Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 281Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add w1ksz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In a previous life I collected US, primarily Washington-Franklins, and KG VI High Values of Bermuda, Leewards
and Nyasaland.

I am getting interested in Collecting First Flight Covers of Pan Am flights.

Is there any list of First Flight Pan Am Covers ? I found the American Air Mail Catalog and have a set on the way,
but would like to see what else might be available out there.

Thank you,

Richard S.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
589 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Richard,

I like the link below for online information on old airline flights.

http://www.aerodacious.com/

Linus
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add w1ksz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, quite a bit of info.

Regards,

rs
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9473 Posts
Posted 10/07/2022   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might enjoy this exhibit PDF from the APRL:

https://classic.stamps.org/userfile...c-264785.pdf
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 10/08/2022   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add w1ksz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How can I get a copy of this from the APRL ?

Thank you

rs
Pillar Of The Community
1146 Posts
Posted 10/08/2022   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The overall best reference is the American Air Mail Catalogue which includes Pan Am flights in several sections. Most of the listings for earliy Pan Am are found in the "Foreign Air Mail (FAM)" listings, and the listings for newer Pan Am first flights are in the "First Flights US Airlines" section. There are also some listed in other sections such as the Canal Zone first flights, the Lindbergh first flights, etc. Pan Am was such a huge airline that all of its first flights spread across many areas.

If you are not already a member of the American Air Mail Society I strongly recommend joining as it is where so many experts on Pan Am first flights reside and they are happy to share their knowledge. As a member you would also get full online access to the Air Post Journal including its archives which is a monthly journal dating back to 1929 and which are a superb source of articles and details of first flights, including Pan Am's of course, and that were written back when the flights were being flown as well as in retrospect. And you would have full online access to the Aero Philatelist Annals which are a monthly journal from 1953 to 1982 and provide additional information to that found in the Air Post Journal on first flights of that era. And you get a member discount on the Catalogues and other books and aerophilatelic references. Check out the Society's website at https://www.americanairmailsociety.org/ and consider joining in the fun and sharing of your common interest.
Learn More...
United States
11220 Posts
Posted 10/08/2022   03:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...As a member you would also get full online access to the Air Post Journal including its archives which is a monthly journal dating back to 1929 and which are a superb source of articles and details of first flights, including Pan Am's of course, and that were written back when the flights were being flown as well as in retrospect...

Actually, everyone has access to the Air Post Journal back issues (except for the current year) online here
https://www.americanairmailsociety....092#archives

There is currently an effort to improve the back issues and reindex all of them. I just did a quick search using the new digitization OCR and index and found 521 back issues with Pan Am flights information.

I agree that you should consider joining this organization.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9473 Posts
Posted 10/08/2022   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How can I get a copy of this from the APRL ?

If you want something beyond printing out the PDF you may request it here:

https://stamps.org/services/library

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 281Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05