Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is PSE Grade Fr10?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 826Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   11:40 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are a number of stamps in the upcoming Rasdale auction with PSE certs graded FR10 - like this one. What does that mean? I've never encountered that.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
653 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it's the next-to-last grading level of Fair (10 on the 0-100 scale), just above poor. I presume largely because of the stamp being cut off at the bottom.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1621 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fair (FR) 10 low score (there is a 5). This is under the old system.

Now with the new system:

Send in for a review and you will get a updated G-VG 40 (50 down 10 for crease.) for the same stamp.

See what a phone call can do.....
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 10/12/2022 3:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 10/12/2022   10:34 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know. I knew a score of 10 using today's rules seemed overly harsh. What was the top grade in that system?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The numerical grading system has not changed. This 2009 PDF explaining it remains in force. The PSE website has an example table that only goes down to 60 which can cause confusion.

See page 27:

http://psestamp.com/pdf/2009_Gradin...e_092009.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   12:28 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see - so it's not the numerical system that changed - just opinions. Pretty unfortunate grade - several of this grade in the sale collections.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is unfortunate. When I see these I think that it was submitter's error. Instead of requesting a non-graded cert if the number would be below a certain level they did not check that box. Obviously nobody wants a Grade 10 returned to them.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8446 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The PF would not even grade a stamp like this.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As well they should not. It is nonsensical.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8446 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly agree.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
599 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any grade given an item is just an "opinion". Opinions change depending on whether you are buying or selling the item.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8446 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No one giving an honest opinion of this stamp can call it anything other then mediocre. It's a popular and somewhat less common stamp, which is the only reason anyone with any philatelic experience would even care at all about it at all.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   11:02 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mediocre, yes. But if was to sell it for a fair price - say 10% of cat - it would sell in a day. Mediocre doesn't mean there aren't plenty of collectors who wouldn't love to have it. But that cert - ewww.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1621 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The numerical grading system has not changed. This 2009 PDF explaining it remains in force. The PSE website has an example table that only goes down to 60 which can cause confusion.

See page 27:

http://psestamp.com/pdf/2009_Gradin...e_092009.pdf

Note that the pdf is from 2009, the time period PSE was changing it processes from the early days to more modern times for better consistency and uniformity. The OP's cert shown is a 2005 cert.

As I mentioned in my first post I called PSE and had a nice long conversation about the subject certification and the "then verses now" viewing lenses.

Lastly I want to add a gentle reminder that for many collectors the used #2 shown in the certificate of the OP would be a welcomed and prized stamp within their collection. Most of the unwashed masses of lowly collectors back in the steerage area of the hobby do not chase only 98-100J material.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 10/13/2022   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note that the pdf is from 2009, the time period PSE was changing it processes from the early days to more modern times for better consistency and uniformity. The OP's cert shown is a 2005 cert.

Quote:
This 2009 PDF explaining it remains in force.

Still on their 2022 website. Call them back and let us know how it goes.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
750 Posts
Posted 10/17/2022   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The grading system is a way for them to generate more income.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 826Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05