Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sg Bahamas 152Bb Two Pence Printed Double.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 436Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Vanchester to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this stamp today. Is it possible that it is SG Bahamas 155bb with the two pence printed double? Or is it a fake?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2377 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apart from the claimed 'doubling' only occurring at the top of the letters spelling the value - making doubling unlikely - , have a look at the right leg of the 'W.' This is oriented from the southwest to the northeast. The 'doubling' is oriented southeast to northwest. If it would be doubling, it should have the same orientation, unless it is where the left leg of the 'W' ended up. But then the 'T' should not show doubling where it does.

Several of the letters show patches of very weak printing. This is most notable on the left of the horizontal stroke of the 'T,' the top of the 'P,' and the top of the left vertical stroke of the 'N.' It looks like something caused the ink to be smeared when, still, it was wet.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 10/14/2022 10:51 am
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Vanchester to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NSK for your great interpretation. All valid points and I agree with your conclusion.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1255 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Known as a "kiss-print", it is caused by slight paper movement during printing. Often confused for a double print, likewise for surcharges and overprints.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2377 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unlikely to be a kiss print. That, indeed, would have doubled some of the design. This looks more like something swept some ink upward or the ink ran.
Edited by NSK - 10/14/2022 2:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
11223 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   2:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like an 'ink pull'
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37483 Posts
Posted 10/14/2022   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Perhaps TimH could offer some sage advice,
would these be printed in a two step process ?

The value tablet printed separately ?

Not seen the value text impinge on the bottom frame before.

Edited by rod222 - 10/14/2022 10:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2377 Posts
Posted 10/15/2022   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does appear like a key-plate issue. The Empire Catalogue (2007) does not say whether or not it is. But I agree with rod222. The value is set very low in the frame, suggesting it was printed separately.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2393 Posts
Posted 10/15/2022   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The higher face value stamps from this series are printed in two colours, which suggests there are two plates involved in the printing process.
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
Posted 10/16/2022   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I save scans of stamps that are unusual and rare when I see them on internet posts. Here is one of the 2-1/2d double print Bahamas issue. The double printing results in a very deep impression in the value tablet. There were done in two steps which is why only the value tablet was printed this way. Unfortunately, I did not save the source of this post, so I can't say where it came from originally. Hopefully it shows what to look for as you sort these stamps.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37483 Posts
Posted 10/16/2022   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall similar stamps from Malaya, (KG6) single colour but "Two Pass printing"
for the value tablet.
Not considered scarce.
Edited by rod222 - 10/16/2022 10:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4126 Posts
Posted 10/16/2022   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are copies of some other Bahamas showing the two pass printing. Nothing "double-printed" like KGVIstamps pointed out, but definitely shows that the value plate position can be variable. The 2 1/2d is a little harder to see.

Also, not "ink-pulls" or wet ink like the OP's two pence example. I thought I had a similar stamp like that ... I'll have to keep looking.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37483 Posts
Posted 10/16/2022   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples Steve.
I think I read about the two pass printing on the Keyplates
from L.N. and M Williams years ago.
Editors of "The Stamp Lover" and "The British Philatelist"
If memory serves.

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 436Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05