Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found This Really Interesting Promissory Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 359Next Topic  
Valued Member
Iceland
24 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add andrewlsf28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Whats the worth of this promissory note? Note was made in 1895 and got paid in 1898. Block of 10 revenue stamps were cancelled on 2 different dates. First 4 stamps were cancelled on second day of issue( R155 was issued on 1/7/1898). The rest of the stamps were cancelled on 6th day of issue.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5623 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   06:04 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat item, just because stamps of the same multiple are canceled on different dates.

Second-day uses tend not to garner anywhere near the premiums of first-day uses.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Iceland
24 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andrewlsf28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have any near example like mine? I will be glad to see it! Block of 10 of this stamp being cancelled
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5623 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   06:43 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a block of 10, but a strip of 10 + strip of 4 cancelled on the first day of tax, July 1, 1898.

I may have other blocks used on documents, but not imaged yet.

Valued Member
Iceland
24 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andrewlsf28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the value of your document. I really need to know about that
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5623 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   07:36 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The value of mine is actually irrelevant to the value of your document, I'm sorry to say.

1. Mine is a 1st day usage, which as I previously mentioned, garner far greater premiums in the marketplace than 2nd-day or later usages.

2. Mine is a large-format document (insurance policy), which are worth more (in general) than small-format documents like checks, promissory notes.

I would put the RETAIL value of your document at anywhere from US$5 to US$20, depending on the seller and collector.

I would just enjoy it for what it is: an interesting piece of fiscal history.
Valued Member
Iceland
24 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andrewlsf28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you think about this? Is it valued $5 to $20?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5623 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   11:09 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, those are bisect usages from the Tolman collection auctioned by Siegel in 2006. Completely different scale of rarity and value.

If you think you have a world class rarity on your hands, please put forth the reasoning you believe it to be so.
Learn More...
United States
11204 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   11:22 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

To clarify, that is the same exact image found online with the value clearly shown.

andrewlsf28,
What is going on here?
Don

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5623 Posts
Posted 10/18/2022   11:44 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing the OP's document has in common with the Tolman pieces is that both have 2-cent provisional overprint stamps on them. Perhaps he is jumping to the conclusion that therefore his document is of equivalent value?

The problem with this conclusion is that with the Tolman pieces, the 2-cent provisionals do not have anything to do with the rarity/value of those pieces, but rather the bisected 1-cent Franklin provisional overprints. The bisects are why the documents have value.
Edited by revenuecollector - 10/18/2022 11:48 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05