Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Togo Rep.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 640Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37512 Posts
Posted 10/20/2022   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The Yellow strip, just east of Ghana.

Togo 1959
A rare commodity for a worldwide collector.
A completed Page.

Thanks to Dianne.

Konkomba Helmet
Teak Forest
Buffon's kob (Antelope 60kph)
Sc# 350>

Konkomba Helmet

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 10/20/2022 4:05 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3064 Posts
Posted 10/21/2022   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was pleased to see this with the middle (antelope) values, seldom seen in most worldwide collections. The lowest values CTO might still be one of the most frequently seen stamps.

Might you also show your earlier page of 1957 "AUTONOME"-inscribed issues for comparison?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37512 Posts
Posted 10/21/2022   05:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly HB.
Shows the plight of a Worlwide collector, I have 542 Togo Stamps
Yet complete pages would number around 5-10

I have scanned directly from the sheet protector, hope it is OK.

Sc#332>
Edited by rod222 - 10/21/2022 05:16 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37512 Posts
Posted 10/21/2022   05:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Astronauts of 1961 Labels.
"The Right Stuff."

Edited by rod222 - 10/21/2022 05:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7038 Posts
Posted 10/21/2022   06:10 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've managed to mix these up on a few occasions!

Pillar Of The Community
France
2413 Posts
Posted 10/21/2022   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one of the 4 "Men in Space" miniature sheets

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3064 Posts
Posted 10/21/2022   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for their contributions (and contributions to come). And now I know where the Gus Grissom label (only) that I have came from (!).
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/21/2022 11:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37512 Posts
Posted 10/21/2022   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks to all for their contributions

I echo that, great sheet of stamps Vayolene !
did not expect that.

Goliath Beetle Page
Sc# 327>

Air Post.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
376 Posts
Posted 10/22/2022   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful sets (helmet, antelope, forest). I hadn't yet gone that far in my remounting, but I just looked in my Part IV binder and I have both sets, complete. Yay! I also have both sets of Postage Due depicting the helmet. I wonder why the comment that the antelope values are seldom seen since these are not high value stamps. Perhaps I should feel lucky.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3064 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder why the comment that the antelope values are seldom seen since these are not high value stamps.

Yes, there should be perhaps thousands of mint sets floating around. Perhaps they can be found easily in France at dealers who shun the internet(?). A check of eBay, Delcampe, Hipstamp and Google (using Scott and Yvert numbers) turned up just one mint set and one seller with used singles.

And the antelope face values might be the key. The 2 or 3 lowest values were once everywhere as CTOs, the log boom values are often found used. The usual domestic postage rate of the period seems to be something like 15f or 20f (CFA francs, I believe). So the antelopes were perhaps values produced just in case of rate changes and/or to pump up set prices (slightly) to collectors. I doubt this whole set was released as CTOs as would be done today.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37512 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am still reeling from the prices asked for TOGO on eBay
Shouldn't think I'll be expanding my collection any time soon.

I seem to be out of touch with stamp prices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3064 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   05:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What, are you looking for the newest stamps or do you mean in general?

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37512 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What, are you looking for the newest stamps or do you mean in general?

No HB, just in general,
I first searched eBay "Togo Europe: there was not a single stamp under $29
then "Togo / stamps " lowest price $12
that was a bit better, but most of the commons, but still above $1 each with freight.
I don't bother bidding on single stamps on eBay any more.

Edited by rod222 - 10/23/2022 05:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7038 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   06:18 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect the German issues, and I know the first Anglo-French occupation issues are out of my price bracket, but I don't recall most of the others as being expensive. I've tended to pick up mine in large mixed French colonies auction lots, though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3064 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, everything's relative, and I assume rod is trying to avoid Togo lots chock full of CTOs. Experienced collectors seem to mostly figure those for nothing or nearly nothing anyway when mixed in lots. Looking through eBay at Togo lots just now, it looks like the season for overpricing is upon us with prices often pulled out of a hat. Perhaps it would be better to hunt in the US during April-August when stamp collecting competition slows down. Now, I did find an 8f antelope postally used for US$1+ and double that for shipping. No thanks.

For you, mailing from sellers in the US isn't cheap so that adds to the pain. But instead of focusing on prepriced lots, you might just throw in a flyer bid for a collection/lot at a comfortable level (is 5-10% of Scott comfortable?). If you don't get it, no sleep lost. And there have been a fair number of eBay bids I made that I thought were pretty solid (like at 20-35% of Scott, depending) on intermediate-level country lots selling for US$20 and much less. I have lost some but have also won some at 10% of Scott or less due to lack of (legit) competition. rod, if you want a suggested auction seller or two, mail me.

Me, I'm looking for postally used worldwide. And yeah, when the mood strikes, I might go looking for lots or single stamps for a specific country. But for the worldwide collector, there are always other countries available at the right price, whatever you figure that to be.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7038 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   07:29 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just had a glance at the catalogue. There's actually very little in the post-1916 occupation/mandate period that should cost much - the Curie and revolution omnibus issues are a bit higher, and the 1954 500 Fr air-mail, but otherwise quite low, even before you apply a percentage of Yvert's pricing.

I very rarely buy individual stamps - I like a larger lot for the fun of the sort!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 640Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05