Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint US Classic Revenues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 474Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/05/2022   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add YbT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not counting modern duck stamps or the like, are there Mint old time revenue stamps around? I have never seen one for sale, but I am just a revenewbie.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8242 Posts
Posted 11/05/2022   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure. You need to see what you want and then check with a stamp seller. If you are a member of the APS you will find plenty of advertisements in their monthly magazine. Same way with Linns stamp news, just to name a few
By the way, just to give you a hint. Why not google revenue stamps

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 11/05/2022 9:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/05/2022   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good advice. I goggled "mint revenue stamps" and there they were, duh. Guess all my eBay searches were for cheap ones, and none of them seemed to be mint. Wonder if in the old days people bought revenues with the idea of collecting them, or if the mint versions are just ones that never did any work. Thanks YbT.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8443 Posts
Posted 11/05/2022   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting stamps began almost as soon as they started being issued. So yes, some people did collect them. Not nearly as many as collected postage, however. And collecting habits were very different in those early days, too.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   09:58 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember when I first started collecting revenues back in the early 70s, I would walk down the street to my local brick and mortar store and the owner would practically give away the revenue stamps to me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8443 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some dealers at shows did that too in those days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
795 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly remember purchasing the red documentaries and R733-34 at the post offices in the mid 1960's.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 11/06/2022 3:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5634 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   5:19 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing to be aware of is that at least with respect to 1st-3rd issue U.S. revenues (Scott #R1-R151), for a revenue stamp to be "mint" or "unused" and thus deserving of the premiums that are frequently asked, the stamp must have a large part original gum and no evidence of document offset.

The vast majority of what are offered online as "mint no gum" revenues are merely uncanceled stamps that were soaked or sweated off documents. Clerks of the era were hurried, and stamps frequently went through uncanceled. If no cancel is your collecting preference (after all, they ARE beautiful stamps!), just please don't overpay under the assumption that the marketplace treats no gum the same as original gum. They are not the same, even though many sellers treat them as such.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   08:40 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mint No Gum is a contradiction.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8443 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Doubly so for revenues in general, but especially for documentary revenues.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5634 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   10:12 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yes it is, but it is ubiquitous in philatelic marketing and sales communication.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8443 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mostly by sellers who don't know better.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05