Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Started A Fascinating Journey, Who Knew?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 865Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kytes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What started as a small find in my uncles boxes to acquiring a vast collection of books and stamps, and now requiring the need for a dedicated space to develop our collection in this fascinating world of philately (or as the wife calls it "Stampings").

Where has this hobby been all of my life?! Obviously when looking for the gems who knew it would branch off into random excerpts of history and fact finding.

Really looking forward to being part of this community. Great reads so far.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
597 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   05:41 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What a great story - welcome!

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
600 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kytes,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.

My personal bias is a used stamp loses the story of its journey in the postal service when it is removed from the cover it transported to its destination. Collecting postal history adds a whole new aspect to your journey in our hobby.

Wishing you many enjoyable future days in our hobby. Russ
Pillar Of The Community
United States
885 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Started A Fascinating Journey, Who Knew?

Well, we all did. And now you do, too.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
678 Posts
Posted 11/07/2022   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the SCF. Very happy for you to have discovered philately as an interest. It is an endlessly fascinating pursuit, so good on you!

Enjoy.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hail and farewell!

Happy you have found a new hobby.
I agree that doing research and fact finding are also important and fun parts of stamp collecting.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kytes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm sure this is a honeymoon period but really fascinated by the little finds along the way.

Will learn how to upload and bore everyone to tears with my little gems
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 11/15/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PAB1969 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome. Great post. Hopefully your newfound passion for stamp collecting lasts a lifetime. Enjoy.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 11/20/2022   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LadyGrace to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know what you mean! What started as a small postcard collection for me became a very fun journey into philately and ephemera in general. It's such a great hobby because it can lead to so many interesting historical discoveries! I'm learning French and digging into Belgian history all because of stamps and postcards!

Glad to have you here
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or as the wife calls it "Stampings"

My wife has another term for it. However, it is against the rules for me to post it.
Also, she so hates those nasty hand cancels, and thinks the machine cancels are much prettier, Oy. Welcome to the forum.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   04:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kytes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So we are off to our first ever stamp fair/exhibition this morning. Both myself and kid 5 are really looking forward to going…. The wife is more exited because we are out somewhere else doing the Stampings

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 865Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05