Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

SC 70 & 78 Looking For Confirmation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 373Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
651 Posts
Posted 11/09/2022   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So colors are hard for me and I know nothing about these, but looking for confirmation: as marked Sc 70 & 78 ?? Tks

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
675 Posts
Posted 11/09/2022   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They do not look all that different to me, and I suspect they are both 70s.

Given the 70 and 78 were printed from the same plate, and with color distinctions so difficult to make online (what with the scanner, the processing SW, the various monitors, and then our eyeballs...), I think you need to get them expertised, side-by-side with reference copies under the same light.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 11/09/2022   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is my belief that the only difference is the paper and that requires having the stamp in hand and familiarity with the paper. I have never seen anyone on this forum indicate that color can be determined with a digital likeness of the stamp. There are some who might know enough about the cancellations to say they might help in making a judgement, however in your examples I do not believe there is not enough to form an opinion. I would appreciate other participants affirming my opinion and enlightening us as to any other way to make a solid determination.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
651 Posts
Posted 11/09/2022   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yep, colors are hard enough in person and I know scanners and color profiles used when scanned mess it all up. in person side by side they do look to be different in color - a tiny bit. But I dont know enough about these to know for sure..... I may have them expertized for the fun of it.

are these ok to soak?
Edited by Stamps4Life - 11/09/2022 5:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
551 Posts
Posted 11/09/2022   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you can soak these - they are at no more risk than cheap stamps to soak. Obviously be careful.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/10/2022   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please see the discussion in Scotts Specialized for #70. This very topic is discussed. As Clipshot wrote, you need to examine the paper most carefully. Do the stamps feel different to you?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
651 Posts
Posted 11/10/2022   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
so the Sc70 seems maybe to be a little thinner. But im not at all certain. here are 2 pictures taken in the reflection of the sun... I read the notes.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05