Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Postage Due Colors

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 844Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   12:09 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to educate myself on early Postage Dues. The colors seem pretty straight-forward. Not that subtle. This image is a brown, red-brown, and bright claret. Is it that simple? Any gotchas I should know about?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Scott's specialized has a lot more than 3 colors. Please take a look.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
574 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes the difference between the second and third issues can be difficult to tell. However, the third issue fluoresces differently under UV from the second issue.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   2:39 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks wtcrowe - good clue. YbT - I'm only looking at the first design - only three colors for that. Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I guess I am confused for PD stamps with first design 1879-1891, I have the colors as brown, pale brown, deep brown, yellowish brown, red brown, pale red brown, deep red brown, bright claret, light claret, dark claret.

Are we talking about the same thing?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   3:32 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah - the deeps and the pales and the lights and the darks - yes - but those are just minor variations of the main color. I'm just trying to make sure I can group them into the three basic colors. Maybe I could sort out some of those minor variations later.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the middle stamp has a NYC 'string of pearls' precancel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   4:22 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That sent me down a rabbit hole. I have two more with that cancel. I can't tell if it is considered rare or not. If it is a precancel but no gum I assume it is still a used stamp. Correct?

Here are the other two:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
String of pearls, not rare, but has a well collected interest.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8415 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only way to be reasonably sure is to have a large group of them. Then it becomes possible to tell. Otherwise, it's like most stamps. One has to se a LOT of them to even begin to have a real clue when only looking at one or two.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   5:50 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll see your Deep Brown and raise you a Pale Red Brown
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
Posted 11/11/2022   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wayner_11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pairs sometimes win

Edited by wayner_11 - 11/11/2022 8:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1143 Posts
Posted 11/12/2022   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
is this comparison helpful for you?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2714 Posts
Posted 11/12/2022   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That sent me down a rabbit hole.

There's another burrow. The precancel New York "String of Pearls" also is struck with a gray-blue ink.

Then there are Boston precancels,

And the scarcer Chicago Block C precancel,

Sorry about the condition of the last stamp, they are tough to find!
Edited by littleriverphil - 11/12/2022 08:55 am
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
Posted 11/12/2022   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wayner_11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
Posted 11/13/2022   09:13 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff!

Al E, what color would you call the first stamp? Deep brown?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 844Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05