Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott Specialized US Catalogue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 771Next Topic  
Valued Member
9 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wonfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On some stamps listing I see a small s with a red circle around it. I can't find anywhere in the introduction what it means. I'm sure it's there somewhere,

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8227 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonfish, my catalog does not show that. What year do you have?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4728 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Notice between Scott 1549 and 1550 (from the 2017 catalog):

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1070 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why wouldn't they use an "S" with a circle around it, with a slash mark through the "S"? You know, the universal symbol of 'do not'. Seems silly to make a new symbol.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why wouldn't they use an "S" with a circle around it, with a slash mark through the "S"? You know, the universal symbol of 'do not'. Seems silly to make a new symbol.

You may have a better response asking Scott.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3052 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"standard warm water soak"? Don't soak stamps in warm water; use cool or cold water.

"S" in a red circle and slash through is used for other things. It means "no stopping" in some English speaking places. Your mileage may vary, but I don't think they should use a "P" in a red circle and a slash through to indicate imperf stamps.
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/14/2022 9:06 pm
Valued Member
9 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wonfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Yes, the S should have a line through it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3052 Posts
Posted 11/14/2022   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I meant that an S in a red circle with a slash through should not be used in Scott since it should be used for a unique situation (i.e. traffic signs) so that its meaning is unambiguous. Even if it was what you expect, then would you have immediately recognized the symbol as "do not soak"? To take it to an extreme, can a stamp collector get out of a "no stopping" ticket by telling the judge they were definitely not soaking stamps by the side of the road?

Scott certainly is not intuitive about how it does things, but it's all there in the introduction which must be read. How else would you know where to look for a image for watermark 373 when you see that notation on a Scott catalog page?
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/15/2022   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it is a strange symbol to use. However, it got your attention, which was its job.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3640 Posts
Posted 11/15/2022   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it would make more sense if you saw what they decided not to do.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 11/15/2022   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, the symbol as well as other reoccurring text notations should be included in the Catalog Introduction section entitled, "Understanding the Listings." At least the the s and circle, with or without slash, does not mean, "don't Save."

Quote:
Maybe it would make more sense if you saw what they decided not to do.

Many enjoy sausage, but few can stomach watching it be made; just like political decisions.

Edited for Smilies.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 11/15/2022 4:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3640 Posts
Posted 11/16/2022   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many enjoy sausage, but few can stomach watching it be made; just like political decisions.

I would also get irritated watching the CSAC make decisions,
Al
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 771Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05