Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Penny, UK 1881 , Stamp- Deformed Dot.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Valued Member

Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/21/2022   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add post_pe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is a deformed dot on right angle close to the inscription on this one penny lilac 1881,SG 172 used stamp with Watermark 49.
I looked through other one penny stamps ,from my collection and it seems tath they don't have this occurrence .
Stanley Gibbons catalog points tath there are many varieties at SG 173, but not at SG 172.
Does somone has a image of a similar stamp to share ?

Send note to Staff
Edited by post_pe - 11/21/2022 1:25 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 11/21/2022   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG states many 'shades.' It lists a number of varieties.

This will not qualify as variety.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36841 Posts
Posted 11/21/2022   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmark : SEAFORTH LIVERPOOL (Squared Circle)
Edited by rod222 - 11/21/2022 4:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 11/21/2022   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dot is a minor thing and probably inconstant. I can see other variations in the whole stamp shown that would be considered more important. Old stamps are not perfect. Varieties listed in catalogs are constant ones that originated on the printing plate; yours might be down to inking. But then, here, how much is due to that and how much is due to the wear on the stamp since it was issued?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2011 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   12:31 am  Show Profile Check jubilee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a two volume set by Ron Lee that covers this issue. Lee apparently personally checked over three million copies of the stamp to locate flaws

Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know tath such little errors on stamps could be categorized as one without any importance.
I can't say weather this difference in the shape of the dot originated in overinking at this section of the stamp. I found images of some other one penny 1881 stamps at the archives of sold items at Grosvenor Auctions tath show a very similar deformed dot on the same place as the one I posted. Grosvenor Auctions doesn't specify the presence of this denominations but there still there and could be observed with naked eye. These could be seen at items number : 1485,535,925,565 and 1984. I'm applying a link below if somone wants to check :

https://www.grosvenorauctions.com/a...ts+One+Penny

Edited by post_pe - 11/22/2022 03:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The description for the types is for the number of complete dots. The lower dot is incomplete and should not be counted. The way in which this dot is incomplete will differ due to inking of the plate.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for participating in the discussion. From the posts I understand tath that the deformed dot should be considered to be a one of many minor inkig errors which could occur on this stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36841 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
minor inkig errors

Not an error, just an inconsistency in the vagaries of printing with a fluid (ink)

If you look at just a dozen of the penny lilacs, the "half pearl" comes in a wide,
albeit small shape variation.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05