Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Austria 20 Heller 1918-1919, Deutschösterreich -Under-Inking?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 221Next Topic  
Valued Member

Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/21/2022   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add post_pe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The letters of this overprint on this
1918 – 1919,printed on Austrian stamps of 1916/17,Deutschösterreich is thinner when compared with other stamps ,from the same issue . Is this too a case of under-inking ?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5132 Posts
Posted 11/21/2022   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are no variations in the thickness/thiness of the overprint
script as per the Austria Netto Katalog.

Here are my copies of the 20Heller, one used and the other mint.

Yours looks like it was left in the water too long when
it was soaked off the envelope.
Not because of what you call under-inking

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 11/21/2022   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
post_pe, yes, the stamp in the original post is relatively underinked. It is not considered important. Perfection is not to be expected with stamps that aren't modern.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving

I don't know very much about Austria stamps and I can't say how this difference in the letters in Deutschösterreich overprint may have occurred . I have just pointed tath the stamp looked under-inked,of course the reason for this might be simpler as you've suggested tath it was placed in water for more long time. If this thinning was caused by water isn't it suppose to make the inscription to look more smudged ?

Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy-brasil
I understand tath there is nothing spectacular about this stamp. I looked through other stamps from the same issue and observed tath some of the overprint look more larger and other as my stamp are looking more thinner than usual . I agree with you tath as the process of making these stamps was not modern one could expect to see many small variations tath it's doesn't worth to be mentioned in cataloges . There is a very interesting website where these small errors are showned and arranged by countries and series. I will try to search a link to it .
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your initial post was ambiguous. It made me think you were referring to under-inking of the stamp image. From your later post, I infer you were talking about the overprint.

Did you measure the length of the overprint? It, not only, looks much thinner than the examples posted by lithograving. It looks shorter, but that might be an optical illusion.

I agree with you that the difference in the type of the overprint has nothing to do with soaking. I also doubt it is a question of under-inking, the quality of the overprint is terrible.

Considering the remark made by lithograving:

Quote:
There are no variations in the thickness/thiness of the overprint
script as per the Austria Netto Katalog.

It raises the question whether the overprint is genuine.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry NSK, for not been precise in my post. It concerned the overprint on the stamp but not the stamp on which it was printed. No, I don't tink it's from the photo the overprint is shorter with 1 mm it's not very much but it's shorter. It's hard to say whether the overprint authentic at all . I found the website for which I wrote in my previous post. There is a 20 heller stamp with a overprint tath looks thinner from the one posted by lithograving .
Link :
https://worldstampsproject.org/repu...amp-variety/

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05