Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

10 Pfening 1900, German Caroline Islands- Granite Paper?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 535Next Topic  
Valued Member

Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add post_pe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 10 pfening 1900 , German Caroline Islands, Mi # 9 ,clean.
It look like it's to be on granite paper.
I have searched many 10 pf.examples and have examined it several times under magnify glass but was unable to find a stamp with matching type of paper.
I tink the catalog claims that 10 pf.1900 ,Yachat issue is not made on granite paper. Could this be some of a Fournier's forgeries ?

Send note to Staff
Edited by post_pe - 11/22/2022 06:31 am

Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
95 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can look at http://stampforgeries.com/country-index-f-j/ they have a real good index of forged stamps, many with details. The stamp you show I did not see it specifically, however that style of stamp was forged often. Since they only change the name of the location on this Imperial German stamp, it would not be surprising. The stamps I did view all looked as if they are on granite paper. However, it's hard to tell paper quality from just a website photo. Your photos are quite good I must say.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36841 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be very surprised if that were granite paper.
Your catalogue should indicate paper.

Granite paper should have discernible threads, usually different colours
often red and blue
Granite paper is best detected on the back of stamps.

Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps which are displayed at stampforgeries.com are very useful for comparison purposes. I also observed tath some of the forgeries are usually found on this paper which looks very much like granite paper this is why I wrote in my first post tath I'm not sure about it's authenticity. I'm glad tath you appreciated the quality of the images .

Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The catalog includes the diferente types of paper used on stamps ,but the images there are not in color as yours,but the definition you gave is precisely the same as the one in my Vocabulary of Philatelycal terminology. I can't say if this is granite paper but it does show very clearly the discernible threads tath you've mentioned in your post. The paper of the 10 pf. stamp looks very much like the second image tath you applied.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
660 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Poor paper quality can result in threads of fibers in the paper that may look a bit like granite paper. Not my area of expertise, but the stamps I came across are usually are on good quality paper. Possibly a forgery. Postmaster GS is a wizard in Colonial Germany. Maybe he'll stop by to give you his opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2657 Posts
Posted 11/23/2022   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a complete scan of the front and back? High resolution if possible.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't post a detail images of the stamp because some of the images I make are bigger in size and are way over the limitations at the Stampcommunity forum and it's not possible to add them here. I'm sorry but I dont have very good technical knowledges. If you would like to see images of the stamp with very high resolution plese visit the link below :
https://www.alo.bg/8436978?eact=e
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
post_pe,

https://www.stampcommunity.org/image-optimizer/

use this tool to reduce the size of your image. Download the edited file to your computer and then you can upload the picture to your post. It can do wonders. Otherwise, there is a dedicated free site where you can post images of your stamps and copy a link to the picture posted on that site.

I use that site for most images I post. I can sent you the address.

Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used the free image tool, two or three times but the reduction of the images was unsuccessful. I would be very obliged
to you if could provide me the address of the website you use.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6867 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   3:55 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I open the image in Microsoft Office, which allows me to resize. A bit of trial and error and you'll get a good idea of what works.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2126 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
post_pe, you do not allow emails. The site is called "See My Stamps."
Valued Member
Bulgaria
142 Posts
Posted 11/24/2022   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NSK, tank you for helping me resolve my technical problems with adding photos at the forum. I would recommend the website to other philatelysts the images appear there with very high resolution .
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05