Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vuescan Scanning App Update

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 399Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   08:37 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
VueScan has released several updates in the last 2-3 months and after working with these updates I think they are worthwhile. Some are small things (i.e. better selection display when previewing, a new onscreen 'Saved' notification after scan is complete, etc.) but they also contain many fixes/improvements for the Epson Perfection series of scanners (V500,V550, V600) and added support for new scanners.

The updates are free for registered users, I know quite a few folks here use this app and thought I would let them know. Download updates from the VueScan website.
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He did fix the issue where the maximum scan resolution matches Epson and selecting crop areas is better.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   4:01 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I believe he did (note that I have only tested this on a V600, I have not yet tested it on a V850 Pro).

Here is the selection 'Preview' window.

Here is the config with max input res of 6400, and it does indeed scan at 6400.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2657 Posts
Posted 11/22/2022   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Heh. 6400 dpi. A.K.A, leave it running overnight and hope it's done by the time you get up in the morning.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   3:13 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks as always. I have found it to be most useful and along with some patient coaching am now able to better manage digital images. If someone here would like to offer organizational coaching that would be most appreciated, too.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5578 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   5:36 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don. I don't typically update Vuescan regularly, as changing versions has an annoying habit of making profiles saved with previous versions unusable and I have to start over. Not always, but frequently enough that I operate under the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset when it comes to this application.
Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, I always disable an application's ability to 'call home' automatically and instead handle my updates manually.

Like many folks, I learned this lesson years ago. Nothing like walking into your company one morning only to find none of the employees can start the business app/do their jobs because some 'update' has failed. It is a frustration when this happens at home, but when you have 50-60 employees sitting on their hands the heat is really on.

I held off on mentioning the VueScan update until I had used it for about two weeks and found it stable. Even with this, I was still a bit leery about posting here since my local, single PC test was a very weak verification.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I held off on mentioning the VueScan update until I had used it for about two weeks and found it stable. Even with this, I was still a bit leery about posting here since my local, single PC test was a very weak verification.

Learn More...
United States
10990 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   05:51 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: testing application code is done on 'virgin' installs of the underlying operating systems and devices by necessity and feasibility. No software company in the world could possibly emulate and test against the billions of different configurations of the devices that exist in the field. This is why it feels like they are 'letting users test the software'.

If a user calls Support and explains an issue they are seeing, the first step is to check their database of known issues. If the issue being described is not known, the next step would be to try to replicate the issue on their test devices. And for this (and just like their original release testing), they use only fresh installs. The only way to completely emulate the user's device would be to make an exact image of their device and this level of troubleshooting it is not feasible in the vast majority of issues (certain security issues being the exception).

Devices that run software typically support completely user configurable environments. In other words, you buy a computer, tablet, or smart phone and immediately begin adding new apps and making customizations to the device.

A good analogy is if I go into my garage and upgrade my Honda Type R turbo, intake and exhaust systems. Even if I purchased an extended car warranty, Honda is not going to honor my customizations (or anything else related to them). Could I then walk around saying the 'Honda makes users test their cars' because I voided the warranty when I made my shade tree modifications?

Yet for some reason, folks seem to cut very little slack to anyone involved in supporting them and their unique, customized devices.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05