Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain 1d Inland Revenue - Postal Or Fiscal Usage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 222Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 11/23/2022   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hy-brasil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is the 1881 1d Inland Revenue stamp with orb watermark.

I was ready to add this to the revenue/fiscals stockbook but I noted the cancel was (I think) a postal-type oval registry cancel for Gresham House (EC2, London). That is indeed in blue; first time for me to see an oval registry cancel struck in blue.

So is this postal usage or fiscal? I know high values were used to pay for both charges and 1d on a registered cover might be from that kind of usage. And does a blue oval registry cancel have some meaning?

Send note to Staff
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/23/2022 09:26 am

Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 11/23/2022   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not unheard of for revenues to sneak through the regular mail system. I am sure some of the revenue experts can weigh in on this.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2118 Posts
Posted 11/23/2022   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
from 1881 postal and fiscal stamps were unified. The stamp you post is one of those that could be used to prepay for carriage of mail. Basic registration fees started at 2d.

There is very little reason to suspect it is anything but what it looks like: a postally used fiscal stamp used on a registered item.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2231 Posts
Posted 11/23/2022   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A search of Gresham House Registered on eBay is revealing!
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 11/23/2022   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NSK for the education!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36819 Posts
Posted 11/23/2022   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gresham House was a Post Office (Branch Office)

Registered hammer unlisted in database.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to NSK and all for their input.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 222Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05