Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am Glad To Be Back On This Forum After More Than 4 Years. Need Some Help.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
85 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Brixtonchrome to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning fellow philatelists!

Some of you might recognize me, but most of you won't I'm sure. I was quite active on this board about 4 years ago when I was writing regular blog posts each week on Canadian stamps. But around that time, shortly after I started regularly sharing my posts I had to abandon my efforts because my business went into survival mode and I needed all hands on deck.

It took me over 4 years, but I built a thriving weekly auction business that until recently kept me too busy to resume posting. However, all that has changed in the past month or so, and my philatelic writing career has resumed anew with GB Queen Victoria material.

I'd like to post links to my latest blog post as well as the material related to this post that I have up in my weekly auction. I saw the rule about 50 quality posts, but I honestly cannot remember how many I had before I went inactive, and I don't want to break any rules. But at the same time, I have a fairly nice selection of material that I won't handle again in a long time that I think members should be made aware of.

So, my question is: 1) who do I contact to get permission to post? and how? and 2) how do I navigate to find a topic on GB penny reds where the post will most fit in? I'm sure there must be a topic on these somewhere. I already advertise on here generally - you can see me at the top of the page, but I don't have specific content posted.

Anyways I appreciate any help you can give.

Chris
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10986 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   07:14 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chris,
1. You are 'good to go' with posting links.
2. The penny red threads are in this section http://goscf.com/f/16 You can see several existing penny red threads or you can start a new one if desired.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2118 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think anyone can post, and you did. Are you referring to posting links?
Your details in the margin state you have 79 posts. So, probably, there should not be any concern about posting things that are allowed.

Most threads about Penny Reds are of the type "Which is my Penny Red?" ("Or how special is my Penny Red?")

Why would you want to search for a thread to post in and not open a new thread?
There is a search button at the top of the page and the forums have a search option at the top left of its home page. To be honest, I think both search facilities are not very helpful as they return many irrelevant posts and often miss relevant posts. But entering 'Penny Red' will return a number of relevant threads.
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brixtonchrome to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much Don! Long time eh? Hope you are well and enjoying your stamps. I'm in a better frame of mind since we last interacted online.
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brixtonchrome to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NSK, thanks for the guidance. I honestly didn't see that I had a post counter in the margin. As for the issue of starting a new thread versus answering an existing one, I don't know. I assumed that there would be a preference for me to respond to an existing thread, but I am happy to start my own I suppose.
Learn More...
United States
10986 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   07:18 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries. Sounds like things are better for you and that's great!
Don
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brixtonchrome to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh God yeah. When I last spoke to you and had interactions on this group I was a struggling dealer on e-Bay, trying desperately to save my business from ruin. I wound up leaving e-Bay for good and starting my own website in April 2019. I started the auction as a gimmick to get traffic to my retail listings and it soon became apparent that auctions were the way to go in building my following. So, I abandoned retail and took on accounting contract work to make ends meet while I built up the auctions. Now, the auctions are doing fine, though I could definitely use some more bidders on the non-Canadian material, and I've been thinking of adding retail back in, now that I have a following and now that I know what material is really worth.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9069 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back Chris! I have thought about you once in a while, usually when I saw your banner here. Your previous commentary left an impression on me in a good way. It was very engaging to me and passionate. I am glad that all is well for you and look forward to reading your posts and seeing some stamps.

Cheers!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
580 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
back, Chris.
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
Posted 11/25/2022   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brixtonchrome to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I am glad to hear you weren't turned off by my previous commentary. It was definitely passionate for sure. The funny thing is that my experience in building my business has borne out what I always thought to be true, namely that this is a thriving hobby. It is absolutely NOT dying at all. There are a lot of collectors out there who are collecting all kinds of stamps, especially modern varieties. Whenever I do a specialized offering of modern paper or tagging varieties that stuff sells out and does very, very well, even though most collectors and dealers call it postage.

But its tough when you are starting out with a vision like I have, because you have to find a way to pay the bills and keep the lights on. Unlike a hobby poster or a retiree, I have to pay for my time if I want to devote full time to writing about and researching stamps. But then you go up against a never ending sea of collectors who are all playing dealer and selling their duplicates. It can be very difficult to get noticed above the general din. But for me, the key seems to be consistency. I hold the auctions week, after week, after week and now I am starting to write again. So, hopefully I start to see more engagement with my content and more bidders, because the more of those I have, the more jobs I can create, and the more time I have to write and publish quality, free content.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   04:29 am  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05