The joys of auction participation:
We have no way of knowing what maximum bid "the other guy" would have stopped at
In this case, $480, twice catalog was "the other guy's" then top bid. But even those can creep up before the hammer.
Now the question is, once spending north of $490 for the 106c, would floortrader have had money for the C6? It seems that day, that auction, those bidders, the money was there for only one stamp win that day. Tomorrow, both lots could be a pass.
Now if we could only personalize the order in which lots sold, life would be easier, right?
A 106c block from the auction referenced in my links above:
1. I'll pass, the block does not fit the space on the page.
2. Oh wow, a block; but I'll still need a single.
3. Which one will I use as the single and where to sell the leftovers.
4. I'll make it fit on the page.
5. How hard are blocks of the other two, I'll buy this and find out.
6. Gee, I should have bid, the lot was passed. I wonder why?