Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott International Album Sequence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 810Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
653 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   3:03 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My 41 albums are bulging at the binders. I recently purchased a large lot of 40 more with the intent to keep about 20 and turn around the rest. What I found interesting , the purchased albums have no labels and the stamps and pages begin with the earliest to the 80s and 90s.
My existing albums are the "traditional" sequence with Part 1 - 1D being up to 1940 and the remainder from 1940/41 to what ever year I stop, mostly 1990-2000.
Fully cognizant they are mine to set up at my pleasure but I am considering the ridiculous task of reorganizing mine this way. I am curious if others of you are assembling with full start to finish by country and/or thoughts of this set up.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Paul
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1692 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   3:43 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought 100s of Scott Blue collections to break up and resell on eBay and I'd say 80%+ are collated by country. It seems to be the most common way to collect, but it's a lot of work and Scott doesn't make it easy with different countries on the front and back of some pages.

Ken
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7030 Posts
Posted 11/26/2022   6:16 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you should be able to do is play around with the duplicated pages to get rid of the problem of one country on the back of an unrelated one - just put a line through the unused one.

I can see keeping the order if you're restricting yourself to early-middle period, but if you're collecting to the 1990s, organising by country is probably how most collectirs would go.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have my SI's more or less in parts through 23. I built them one part at a time. Kind of a pain when I get a county collection and have to keep grabbing the next binder.. I've combined a couple in Jumbo binders, like (X and XI) Agreed that it is a lot of work and if your pages are stressed you may need some hole reinforcers. In general I've found that more people like the "regular" binders over the Jumbo ones
Valued Member
150 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the < 20% who prefers by year order. But, I think after volume 1 (or maybe volume 2), there aren't any pages which span multiple countries. There are some collectors who keep volume 1 intact but combine later volumes. Volume 1 is kind of a mess with sometimes multiple countries on each side of the page, and not even proper alphabetical order. Just wherever it would fit. I would consider putting decades together. Like the 70's for example--spans volumes 8-15, but pretty stable period philatelically and historically.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6295 Posts
Posted 11/29/2022   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased a Scott International set of 15 albums all sorted to country order . They had a small amount of stamps inside . I got it at a Rasdale Auction cheap .

I cut the pages down and punched them to fit a three ring binder and then purchased 20 heavy duty binders in the same blue color . Less pages per binder . The fit nicely in the D-ring type binder . Very neat and easy to work with . They are my daily working set . I hate the way the Big Blue binder fall apart from long term handling .
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
Posted 11/30/2022   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader, I feel your pain about the BB binders falling apart: I have one and it's bulging at the seams, and attempts to find two, smaller binders to house my collection have so far been unsuccessful...
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 810Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05