Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Has Got To Be Reperforated, Right?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,000Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   12:11 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sometimes I am really surprised at how hard people are willing to work to fake things. I believe the top perfs on this stamp are reperforated. But if it hadn't been misaligned with the bottom perfs I doubt I would have found it.

I mean the perf tips are different lengths, the perf holes look pretty good - the tips are nice and fluffy. I may even see something like pressure ridges.

But I mean it has got to be reperfed - right? There is no other explanation for the misalignment.

(It's an XF-Superb appearing 6 cent Columbian)

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
597 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The angle of the perforation differs slightly from top to bottom (misaligned row of pins?), but to me, the holes line up OK.

Attached is your image with the top perfs beneath the bottoms and the left side perfs positioned next to the right side.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   1:28 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm refering to the fact that top row is not parallel to the bottom.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8446 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They should not be parallel. If they were, that would likely be a sign that one was reperforated. As it happens, I don't particularly like the left side, although they do match up. Perfs on Columbians can get a bit strange looking and still be genuine. I was fortunate enough to see full sheets from the one cent to the one dollar at one time, and some of the perfs were very funny looking even though obviously genuine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1621 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perforations were not always parallel as the perforation wheels were not perfect. If you look at full sheets of Columbians, you can see "wander" and "drift" of individual perforations, sections of perforations or full row of perforations. Check Siegel sale 1239 lot 561 a full sheet of 100. You can also examine other full sheet or full pane images on their site to see the same effect.

Lot 561 also explains why most reperfing on the 6 cent is found is top or bottom. Examination of the top of the sheet shows even the cutting wheel wanders as it removed the top selvage with plate numbers during perforation and trimming.

Now the problem with your stamp is the top perforations look too natural and correct to be reperforated, while the the slight misalignment is a red herring. So sadly, this stamp is likely not reperforated as you had hoped or surmised bases on the slight deviation from parallel. You will have to look harder at the actual perfs at top (or bottom) to find the flaw which will establish the answer you want, if in fact the perforations are not from production.

In summary, based upon your comments and the quality of the photos, the stamp seem not to be reperforated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   6:43 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is most likely reperforated at top. Don't like not being able to see both sides of the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the Philatelic Foundation:

Quote:
The rows of perforations on opposite sides should be parallel to one another. This makes sense since the perforating wheels are mounted side by side on a straight rod or axle and are applied in the same motion. This does not mean to imply that the perforations must be exactly square to the stamp design. Perforations can and often are applied at a slight angle to the actual design. But one thing is sure: If the perfs at the top of a stamp slope slightly downward from left to right, the bottom should do the same and at the same angle. The same rules apply to the side perforations. They can slant, but they had better do the same and to the same degree on both sides.

https://www.philatelicfoundation.or...perforation/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8446 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been a long weekend. I was thinking that it was the holes not matching that he was discussing. In any case, such a slight difference does not seem to be enough.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is enough of a runout to be something other than natural. On either side of the stamp in question the non-parallel condition would have been quite substantial at either the beginning or end of the perforating wheel run. We don't know where the stamp was in the sheet. In any case I would vote for a reperf.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8446 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would want to see them in person before making any kind of real decision.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   10:46 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you parcel. I appreciate that you understand my disappointment; nevertheless, the jury still seems to be out. Sinclair requested the front. DIdn't think it would be needed. But sure:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3064 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not the top that's been reperfed, but the bottom. The overall line of perfs at top and bottom are definitely not parallel. That's a clear indicator of reperfing without question. Another point is that all the perf tips at bottom are noticeably stubbier than the rest suggesting that reperfing was done to yield the largest margin possible while getting rid of damage or a straight edge.

Here's the top edge compared with the left side:

These were set 90 apart and are slightly crooked relative to each other but this did not necessarily happen perfectly in real life. The important thing is that parallel sides are parallel. Still, the perf holes are the same size on both sides and the gauge matches. Worksforme.

Here's the bottom edge compared with the left side:

Again set 90 apart, etc. etc. A number of cleanly cut perf holes in the bottom edge are smaller - that should not be and shows the wrong size pins mostly being used in the reperfing tool. The gauge is also very slightly off between the two sides, not due to being crooked relative to each other.
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/28/2022 12:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   11:10 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy, I appreciate the work, but I'm not convinced. The holes are shorter so you aren't getting the full diameter. Also, when I check alignment of the perfs I check all 4 sides at once. The right, left, and bottom are all parallel and perpendicular. Only the top is out of parallel.

I have to say the responses here are more complicated than I expected. I don't feel I can list this without saying something - maybe I need to get a cert and get a grade if they like it. Worst case it comes back reperfed which is what I would have to sell it as today anyway. But in the off-chance they give it a green light it should get a pretty high grade.

I have a bunch of XF+ Columbians listed without certs and my asking prices are high enough that they probably won't sell without certs. So maybe it's time for a big submit.

Do people still like PSE best for grading? My last submission took forever.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9492 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell you 100% that the PF would not give the stamp a clean cert. The top and bottom not being parallel are a no-go.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8446 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can tell you 100% that the PF would not give the stamp a clean cert. The top and bottom not being parallel are a no-go.

I suggest that they would make up their minds only after they saw it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   2:53 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started out believing it is reperfed. That's how I was going to list it for sale. So if a cert comes back as a reperf, I've only lost the cost of a cert. If there is maybe a 1 in 5 chance it comes back good, it's a win.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,000Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05