Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Title Pages For Countries

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 437Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamperJD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am a worldwide collector that occasionally buys collections to integrate into mine. I recently bought a collection of stamps from Colombia, and I was very impressed with the title page created for this album which looks to me like a hand painted watercolor:

Now I have this desire to have similarly wonderful pages created for all the countries, but I don't have the talent, and am thinking about commissioning an artist to create pages for me, but of course that will be costly.

If anyone has any title pages they are particularly happy with please share what you did and how you created them.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
878 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Easy: search "watercolor [name of country]". Scroll through the hundreds of images you find, pick one. Use program of your choice to size/adjust said picture, then print.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
11235 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   4:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Now I have this desire to have similarly wonderful pages created for all the countries, but I don't have the talent...

You do not really need to be a painter, just some software skills. For example, here is a cover page I did in less than 5 minutes using software (with no copyright issues). Simply get a good representative image online then use one of several graphics apps to change the image into a 'painting' using filters. Add a font or two that appeals to you. Bingo, customized page that no one else in teh world has.

Don

Edit: Same image filter but using a 'colored pencil' filter
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7043 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   5:10 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could find attractive, vintage postcards to go on your title page. Or construct a collage of images printed from the web, perhaps incorporating a map of the territory in the centre.
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the postcard idea. It would give you an opportunity to broaden your philatelic horizons too, perhaps by visiting a postcard show if one exists in your area. Stampers seem wary of postcard shows even though we really do inhabit the same collecting sphere
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
112 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All good ideas. I'm not consistent with my title pages. I use maps, postcards, stamp image from the country and a lot of old travel posters.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 11/27/2022   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperJD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for all your, input it is inspiring. After reading this I have been researching postcards and travel posters, and I think I have a way forward. I will probably go that route and then apply some of the software Don mentioned to tweak it how I would like it to look.

I love the Belgian Congo page it looks great!
Pillar Of The Community
1478 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not do "Countries" -- my collecting focus is US Airmail and aviation topical -- but I do have my collection organized in a particular way, and this thread gave me some ideas about creating cover pages for the way I have created it.

Nice thread.
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
Posted 11/29/2022   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add barhata to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was always captivated by the stamp album title pages that were created by Arthur Szyk. Stamp dealer K. Bileski commissioned Szyk to create 12 stamp album country title pages. unfortunately, Szyk was only able to create 10 pages before his untimely death. Copies of the lithograph art are offered on eBay and Hip Stamp, or just Google 'ARTHUR SZYK STAMP ALBUM TITLE PAGES'. For 'blcjr', I am also an airmail collector and I have the "Vision of Flight" Szyk title page at the front of my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
4770 Posts
Posted 11/29/2022   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 10 Szyk pages are:
Airmail
Canada
China
France
Great Britain
Israel
Poland
Switzerland
USA
USSR

As examples, here are the pages for Airmail and Canada:

(The pages are slightly oversized at 10x11.5 with a printed area of 6.5x8. I must admit I have cut a couple of these down to 8.5x11 so they fit a more standard page.)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3658 Posts
Posted 11/30/2022   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine are simple - no art.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7043 Posts
Posted 11/30/2022   06:45 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I don't know about art, but I know what I hate", in the words of Montgomery Burns.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 437Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05