Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice On Organizing The 1908-1922 Series

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 456Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Japan
177 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Rotary, Flat Plate, Offset, 10-11-12 perf, Single WMK, Double WMK, No WMK, Precancels, sizes that can adjust the price depending on 1/4 of a mm... I can see why there were so many errors/rare varieties in this time-span because WOW, the details are extremely vast and nit-picky despite the basic design elements ultimately maintaining an otherwise uniform appearance.

Do you guys have any advice on how to check/organize these in the least stressful way possible?
I've been on both stampsmarter and Swedish Tiger so far and found that there are even certain varieties on one of those sites and not the other, and vice versa.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Start with:
The Micarelli Identification Guide to U.S. Stamps : Regular Issues, 1847-1934 by Charles N. Micarelli

then:
The Expert's Book a Practical Guide to the Authentication of United States Stamps Washington/Franklin Issues 1908-1923 by Paul W. Schmid

The first book should be available at a reasonable price. The second, not so much.

The Stamp Smarter site will have a lot of useful information, too.

Yes, a complicated series and you won't figure it out in just an hour. It does require a time commitment. Good luck.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8422 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also read the Johl book vol 1 to get the background on why the series exists the way it does. Once you know the story it becomes much easier.Available on line here:
https://siegelauctions.com/enc/pdf/Johl_Vol_1.pdf
Learn More...
United States
11204 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   09:42 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Johl books are also free to download from the Stamp Smarter Library
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/Home_USID.html

The Expert's Book a Practical Guide to the Authentication of United States Stamps Washington/Franklin Issues 1908-1923 by Paul W. Schmid
in hardcover is out-of-print and can be costly. But I digitized it into a PDF for the author a number of years ago, I believe he still offers this digital version on disk at a reasonable price (it was under $20 back 2014, not sure how much it is now).

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1143 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is also Geo. Howards "The Stamp Machines & Coiled Stamps", Steven Belasco's book "Guide to United States Vending and Affixing Machine Perforations" for when/if you find any private perfs. in collecting W/Fs, and the United States Stamp Society, which you can join, has a lot of W/F info. in there publications (searchable on-line). There is also Martin Armstrong's book "Washington-Franklins 1908-1921".

As stated, it takes a lot of time and study to learn all the varieties and scuttle differences in this series.
Learn More...
United States
11204 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   10:06 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion a person could invest a lifetime studying this series. Given the challenges, the decision to do a 'deep dive' should not be taken lightly without a significant commitment of time and money.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7021 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   10:35 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided the "least stressful way" was to sweep them from the desk and put them on eBay.
Learn More...
United States
11204 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   11:00 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I decided the "least stressful way" was to sweep them from the desk and put them on eBay.

Funny, that is what I do with Machins!
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6465 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even easier, I sort them by color and place them in a stock book and leave them there.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7021 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   12:08 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I managed to dispose of huge heaps of Machins in a large eBay lot. My collection of them consists of a mint 1967 set, without varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8422 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are really not all that difficult most of the time, although I admit that I do get to see a lot of them on a regular basis, and have for the last 10 years. Perf check first, then watermark where needed. Only the 2 and 3 cents have types, and learning to recognize offsets is not very difficult. The flat plate coils are really where most of the problems are, along with some of the watermarks being difficult to see. As I said before, knowing the story and why things happened helps a lot.
Learn More...
United States
11204 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   12:39 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed that ID process steps, which is used with this simple-to-use tool
https://stampsmarter.org/features/S...rank_ID.html is straight forward. It also helps greatly to be able to ID the three different printing processes, often done by experienced folks just by eye or tactilely. And there are some very good info online like Chris's article here
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/I...arities.html

But many inexperienced people start with 'I have a 595' perspective and simply cannot give it up. And having the majority of the W/F coils faked/altered makes navigating these a challenge.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8422 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But many inexperienced people start with 'I have a 595' perspective and simply cannot give it up.

I agree, although 595 is not a W/F. They do have a 482A mentality, however. There is no question that it takes a desire to both read up on them and to look at a lot of them if one is going to become reasonably proficient.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/28/2022   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YbT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51 Studebaker thanks very much for the info on Stamp Smarter Library. I had no idea about this wonderful resource.
Valued Member
Japan
177 Posts
Posted 11/29/2022   06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my opinion a person could invest a lifetime studying this series. Given the challenges, the decision to do a 'deep dive' should not be taken lightly without a significant commitment of time and money.

Thank you for being honest. *_*
I kind of figured that would be the general consensus... I think I'm in Geoff's boat on this one.
Valued Member
Japan
177 Posts
Posted 11/29/2022   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to go through them relatively quick, while still not overstepping anything potentially unique. Revcollector, I think your way seems best!
And that link on Stampsmarter is genius... I'll definitely be on there 90% of my time with this.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 456Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05