Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

China Local Post Kewkiang

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 218Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
842 Posts
Posted 12/05/2022   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would appreciate some information on this local service or a link to a site that will give the back story. The only thing I can make out in the oval purple ink cancel are the figures 94 (1894 ??) which would lead me to think the stamp is associated to one of the Treaty Ports.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37463 Posts
Posted 12/05/2022   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All info I have is 1894-1896 "pagoda" set 20 stamps

Stamp #3 1c Greyish Black, Unwatermarked Perf 12 CV $5 at print date

"Jiujiang" in Chinese

Author : Unknown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiujiang
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/05/2022 10:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1813 Posts
Posted 12/06/2022   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can check out this earlier thread:

http://goscf.com/t/29520
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37463 Posts
Posted 12/06/2022   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bib: Panda Stamps
(3). Kewkiang (Jiujiang), a Chinese treaty port on the Yangtse river where a municipal local post was started in 1894. Originally Kewkiang's post was merely an agency of the Shanghai local post but on June 1, 1894, the Municipal Council issued its own stamps. A series of nine values was released for local mail and that interchanged with other treaty ports. The 1/2 cent, printed in black on rose and red on yellow, showed a pagoda, while the 1c black on white showed Chinese characters in a rectangle, and the 2c red showed ancient Chinese characters in a rectangle. The 5, 6, 10, 15, 20 and 40c valuesall had designs similar to those of the 1 or 2c denominations.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
842 Posts
Posted 12/06/2022   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Information and a good link. I can a t least put it in historical context now and can add a page, most likely to the couple of Shanghai stamps that I have.

Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1348 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! The Kewkiang local post is one of the entities that I'm still trying to get for my "One Unused 19th-Century Postal Card from Everywhere" collection, but what I've seen for sale has been way out of my price range.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05