Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Postmark/Precancel Identification

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 925Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

Canada
85 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bigmel222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I cannot find any info on the two stamps below. Any help would be gtratly appreciated.

Thanks
Mel
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first is a British ½d, yellow-green King Edward VII permanent stamp issued 26 November 1904. Depending on whether it is pale yellowish green or yellow-green, it is catalogued as SG 217 or 218. It was printed by De La Rue.
The cancellation, likely, is for Ebbesbourne Wake in Wiltshire.

Your second stamp is catalogued SG 449, 1s bistre-brown King George V permanent stamp of the MacKennal design printed in photogravure. The latter is evidenced by the solid background to the King's profile. The stamp was issued 24 February 1936 and printed by Harrison & Sons. The cancellation is upside down and appears to be for an office in Glasgow, Scotland.

These are pretty basic stamp any search of English stamp would have shown you results for these.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 12/07/2022 2:42 pm
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigmel222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. Next time, I'll have to spend more time researching!
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are Dixon Road, Dixon Street and Dixon Avenue in Glasgow's Queen's Park.
Pillar Of The Community
4758 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bigmel,
Perhaps a helpful hint ...

Quote:
I cannot find any info on the two stamps below

is a fairly vague statement. I read it and had no idea where you have already looked and what type/detail of information you were looking for. What catalog, internet site, or other reference are you trying to research your stamp in? That way we can respond with an answer tailored to match your research resources or alert you to new resources, etc.

NSK's replies are quite wonderfully detailed, yet I have no idea if they addressed your question.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
901 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the thread title, Mel's inquiry was mainly about the cancelation, rather than about the stamps themselves.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37474 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Big Mel,
I found your brace very intriguing, I saved for research.

Both unlisted in our Postmark database (20,000 postmarks)

EBBESBOURNE

The Glasgow, is possibly a Parcel Post hammer, yet unlisted
but it did bring up, something I have not encountered in 20 years

Postmarks in Oxfordshire that end in "OXON"
For example Chipping Norton Circular Date Stamp and OXON at bottom.

Strange days indeed.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2391 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hampshire gets abbreviated to Hants.

Most peculiar mama! (Pertinent reference given what happened on this day 42 years ago)
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37474 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice thoughts Bobby.

wiki
The Oxon abbreviation has its origins in the fact the county, and particularly the city of Oxford, has major education and tourist industries. The answer lies in the University of Oxford which is normally abbreviated Oxon, which is short for (Academia) Oxoniensis.

Oxoniensis is a Latin adjective derived from Oxonia, the Latin name of Oxford, meaning "relating to Oxford, Oxonian"

BANBURY
Nursery Rhyme, I recall my sister singing as kids
Ride a cock-horse to Banbury Cross,
To see a fine lady upon a white horse;
Rings on her fingers and bells on her toes,
And she shall have music wherever she goes.

HANTS
Hants is the abbreviated form of Hampshire. The abbreviated form is derived from Old English Hantum plus scir (meaning a district governed from the settlement now known as Southampton) and the Anglo-Saxons called it Hamtunschire. At the time of the Domesday Book (1086) this was compressed to Hantescire.
Edited by rod222 - 12/07/2022 6:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another example of a Latinized name of a more familiar English place name is the corollary to Oxon. This is Cantab. an abbreviation of the Latin Cantabrigiensis, referring to the University of Cambridge, which is also of course, Oxford's rival in many fields, both academically and in the famous annual rowing race. You will often see the abbreviation used in someone's academic title, but I don't know if it's ever been used on a postmark
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37474 Posts
Posted 12/07/2022   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, but no Cantab in the 20,000 database.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always wondered about that "Oxon." Every time it came up, it clearly related to Oxfordshire. So, I learned something here.

The black line before "XON" looks strait. I doubt it is "OXON," that was my first thought as well. In old post office directories of Glasgow, there are no hits for "OXON". "Dixon" does keep popping up, but I could not confirm a post office there. There was a company that did something with revenue and excise on Dixon Street (or was it Road).

The thought of a parcel cancel arose. Could, however, this be a revenue - because of the above company - or even telegraph cancel?
Edited by NSK - 12/08/2022 02:05 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37474 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   02:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I searched "XON" and "DIXON" in the database
OXON came up 10 times
Dixon nil

Quote:
The thought of a parcel cancel arose. Could, however, this be a revenue - because of the above company - or even telegraph cancel?

It could be either, completely void of information as yet
I am shooting for parcel, as the 1/- usage, but mere speculation

I have Scot Postmarks 1854 - 1860 but none in this period.
Dixon unlisted
Very few Glasgow.

If "Dixon Street" I would have thought receiving house, but this is well beyond that time usage.

Parcel strikes are the only ones I am familiar with, in that boxy felt or rubber handstamp.

A curly one.

Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigmel222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wow! Thanks everyone. Rob Roy, you were right about my original inquiry. The history and discussions are fantastic and what makes this such an interesting hobby.
cheers.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2391 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was reading a catalogue last night and saw Exeter referred to as Exon.

Sure enough:

https://www.exondomesday.ac.uk/edit...mesday-book/

Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37474 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have cracked one, and I dare say, the EBBESBOURNE Postmark,
is somewhat of a scarcity.

I have yet to find any example, of the postmark anywhere,
including 6 catalogues of Brit Postal markings.

So, EBBESBOURNE WAKE (30 miles from my home town )
Wiltshire

Ebbesbourne appears in the Latin will of a Dorset woman, Wynflęd, the earliest will of a woman to survive in English history, described as "a small stained sheet of parchment". The detailed terms bequeath to her daughter Ęthelflœd an engraved bracelet, a brooch, some named household articles including books, and "the farm at Ebbesbourne with the title deed as a perpetual inheritance... and the men and the livestock on the land there to her too." The will was put on display at the British Library in late 2018–early 2019

Post Office at EBBESBOURNE
Author : Peter Meers (Copyrighted)

Edited by rod222 - 12/08/2022 3:23 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 925Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05