Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Postmark/Precancel Identification

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 941Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2398 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No office that fits in 1906.

Post office guide 1906
https://www.gbps.org.uk/information...January).pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 12/08/2022 5:36 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37554 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another great resource !
Thanks NSK !

EBBESBOURNE 1896 Listing (MOO office)

Edited by rod222 - 12/08/2022 6:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2414 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great work folks!

I have Wiltshire blood too Rod, although it's a fair way back.
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37554 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have Wiltshire blood too Rod, although it's a fair way back.

That explains our extremely good looks then
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bigmel222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, rod222. That is amazing.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37554 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, rod222. That is amazing.

Collaborative effort, Mel,
That's what we do here

We stand on the shoulders of all those unknown collectors,
who took the time to record information we are privy to.
Finding the information, is the trick.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2414 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That explains our extremely good looks then

Works for me

I have been there; it's a very special place.
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37554 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I remind you, the GLASGOW handstruck remains unidentified
You were well intrigued by your two examples,
They have been a challenge.

As an example of collaboration, our member "PostmasterGS"
very generously donated his time and expertise, to OCR
a Scots monograph I have in my Library.

With just one click, I find there is no existant Postmark to 1860
with text string IXO in the hammer.
That is amongst 1000's of Scot Postmarks, and possibly 200! Glasgow, Sub Post Offices.

Only Post offices with an "X" were LENNOXTOWN and ST ROLLOX

It's not often we cannot crack a postmark!
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2398 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did come across an oblong boxed telegraph cancel. However, it is different from the cancellation. Also, the string 'IXON' or at least 'XON' should occur in the post office guide for 1896 if there was such a telegraph office.

The 'ASGO' is clear and there seems to be a foot of an 'L' preceding it. 'ASGO' only occurs in Glasgow.

Two further ideas pop up: some kind of TPO cancel. But then you do not get a reasonable route.

The other idea is that it is not a postal cancellation, but a commercial stamp used by a company to cancel stamps used for revenue collection. A postal directory for Glasgow not only returns Dixon Street, Dixon Road, and Dixon Avenue, but also a lot of companies called 'Dixon.'
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37554 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, the string 'IXON' or at least 'XON' should occur in the post office guide for 1896 if there was such a telegraph office.

I had tried all the varieties of IXO in the two *pdf's you generously linked NSK,
together with Glasgow.
Results Nil

Time to seek info from Scot Phil societies.
I'm a dog on a bone
Edited by rod222 - 12/09/2022 1:48 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
18 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add flip138 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My copy of Post Offices in the United Kingdom, April 1960 edition, gives Dixon St Glasgow, at that time in the C.1 postal district.

Phil
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2398 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no indication in the post office guides there was a post office in Dixon Street by 1931. The stamp was issued in 1936. It was not replaced by the George VI 1/- until 1 May 1939. So, it could be possible a post office was opened in Dixon Street between 1931 and 1936 - 1939.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2398 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, here it is mentioned: Dixon Street Branch Office opened 22-5-1928, replaced Howard St. Branch Office.
Replaced by Jamaica Street, opened 30-10-1992.

https://www.gbps.org.uk/tools/ukpo/.../Glasgow.pdf
Edited by NSK - 12/09/2022 4:46 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37554 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bravo!
Thanks NSK journey's end.
One wonders why the changes.

Howard St.B.O. 12-5-1906: MO-SB & T.O.(GGU) (ex 'St.Enoch's Square'). Replaced by 'Dixon St' 22-5-1928

MO= Money Order Office
SB = Savings Bank Office
TO = Telegraph Office

GGU =

Jamaica Street 30-10-1992, MSPO (ex 'Dixon St'). Closed 22-11-1999.

Dixon Street 22-5-1928: B.O.(ex 'Howard St') MO-SB & T.O.( ). Replaced by 'Jamaica St' 30-10-1992.

MSPO = Money Order Savings Bank PO

One also wonders why "Dixon Street" Postmarks are not more common.

St Enoch Square Glasgow

Howard Street Glasgow.
Edited by rod222 - 12/09/2022 7:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2414 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great link NSK.

It is an updated version of a PDF that I found here a few years ago:

https://sites.google.com/site/ukpos...ycounty/home

This is an excellent resource for UK postmark collectors
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 941Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05