Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thank You Those People Who Have Been In Touch Already

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 435Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Forster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
To those of you who replied yesterday.....I don't know how to thank you personally. Can you please tell me about these stamps too ? I am not into the value just what they are....its fascinating - I spent hours today on stamps ![i

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7030 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   3:22 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first is a 1d Queen Victoria stamp overprinted for use on outgoing Inland Revenue correspondence. The overprints duscouraged staff from taking them for their own use. The 6d Edward VII stamp has been fiscally used - and is thus no longer a "postage" stamp. British stamps of this period could be used for either postage or fiscal purposes.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top stamp, as the overprint indicates, is an official stamp used by the offices of the Inland Revenue (I.R.). The basic stamp is an 1881 'Unified Issue,' the first postage stamp also valid to pay revenue tax. The stamps were only intended for use on mail from the Inland Revenue offices, not to pay revenue tax. Ordinary citizens should not hold them. The catalogue number is SG O3. The basic stamp, surface-printed by De La Rue, and issued 1 October 1882, comes with either 14 or 16 full dots in each corner. Only the second one (Die II) was overprinted. It is SG 172.

The second stamp is a 6d stamp from the permanent series of King Edward VII. The manuscript indicates it was used to pay revenue tax. This stamp knows several varieties. It exists on ordinary and chalk-surfaced paper printed by De La Rue. When they lost the contract to Harrison that was busy preparing thestamps for the new King George V, provisional printings for this stamp were done at the stamp printing branch of the Inland Revenue at Somerset House. It was one of the first stamps of Edward VII issued, on 1 January 1902. The printing on chalk-surfaced paper was issued in January 1906, and the provisional printing by Somerset House 31 October 1911.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37463 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very unusual Postmark on the I.R !

HI ???? High? His?
PORTSMOUTH
(Nov 1896)

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
7030 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   4:02 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hilsea is an area of Portsmouth. High Street may be more likely.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The IR offices are at Lynx House in Cosham that has a High Street.
If H.M. Revenue and Customs have historic ties to Cosham, High Str. would be possible.

HMRC does not fit.
Edited by NSK - 12/08/2022 4:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by NSK - 12/08/2022 4:48 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37463 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks gentlemen, Solved

Unlisted in database
there are 12 x "High Street " Post offices in Britain
Portsmouth unlisted.

Going by the tiny part postmark top left and "O"
I'd suggest "HIgh Street BO" (Branch Office)
Edited by rod222 - 12/08/2022 5:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, a lot more 'High Street' offices in 1896

https://www.gbps.org.uk/information...October).pdf
Edited by NSK - 12/08/2022 5:46 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37463 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Wow! Thanks a bunch, was not in my library.
A cracking addition.
Thanks Google !
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2383 Posts
Posted 12/08/2022   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wasn't in my library either, but it is now

Thank you NSK
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The GBPS has several of these up to about 1931 on its website accessible to everyone.
Pillar Of The Community
Romania
518 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does the first stamp have a plate flaw?
Broken frame and pearls below "ONE"?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37463 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   02:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion No, Scuff probably
When looking for flaws on a used stamp
esp over 100 years old, its like inspecting a crime scene.

There are myriads of reasons why damage is mistaken for other things.

Bring me a mint, with the same look, and I'm with you.
Edited by rod222 - 12/09/2022 02:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
2368 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The frame break looks like surface damage.
Edited by NSK - 12/09/2022 03:20 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05