Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sioux Falls Airfare September 1930 Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 287Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   09:26 am  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't find any info on this cover. I can find 1932 covers but none from 1930. I assume this was from Sioux Skyways airport?

Send note to Staff
Michael Darabaris

Pillar Of The Community
1480 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was called "Soo Skyways" airport back in the day:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/l...ea/87280768/

The "airfair" was front page news at the time. That was the second "Airfair." I think the airport dedication was the year before.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by blcjr - 12/09/2022 12:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   1:53 pm  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
so this article excerpt you are surmising is talking about the airfare?

"In 1930, the YMCA sponsored a glider club for high school kids. The kids would gather at Soo Skyways and attempt to manually fling the engineless vessel into the air using a bungie cord. Eventually, the students would tow it into the air with a car, reaching heights of 25 feet."
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
1480 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, the article was to document the name of the airport back then.

That newspaper, though, was around back then, and had extensive coverage of the "airfair" on the days listed on the cover. I have a subscription to newspapers.com, and checked out the editions. As I said in my previous post, it was front page news at the time.

What kind of info are you looking for? Specific mention of covers for that event? That may not exist. But the event existed, and there is no reason to think the cover is bogus.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   5:34 pm  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay thanks! Yes I'm trying to find more info on this event. So it was an air show? but no special flight or mail flight?
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
1480 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, as far as I can tell, it was what we today would call an air show. Lots of special events, and famous fliers competing for prizes, that sort of thing. Nothing to do with mail service or any kind of special flight.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
37589 Posts
Posted 12/09/2022   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had interest, as I had a cinderella "Soo Line Railways" (no relation)

Soo Skyways Airport became a base for area barnstormers and served as the location for the Sioux Falls Air Races in 1929, 1930 and 1931. Competition included several classes of races and balloon busting, bombing and parachute jumping contests. The tower building at Columbus College, today a part of the Royal C. Johnson Memorial Hospital, served as one of the pylons for the races.
https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=182227
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/10/2022   12:52 pm  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the info! So this is an event cover
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
1148 Posts
Posted 12/18/2022   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is just an ordinary event cover to publicize the airport and create a reason for people from around that area to go to the airport and enjoy an afternoon looking at aircraft and talking about aviation. These types of fairs were held all over the county with the intention to get people more interested in flying and sending their mail by air. This was not a first flight or special flight or record setting flight or such.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1026 Posts
Posted 12/19/2022   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a 1937 commercial cover from Sioux Skyways with an Art Deco logo addressed to the venerable Stinson Aircraft Corporaton. I thought that Sioux Skyways was what we now call a commercial aviation company, but it appears that it was the name of the Sioux Falls airport.

DonSellos

Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 12/19/2022   11:58 am  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cover Don!
Michael Darabaris
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05