Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With The Transportation Series 1981-95

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 565Next Topic  
Valued Member

5 Posts
Posted 12/11/2022   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dj925 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I've been trying to find all of the scott numbers for the precancel stamps but I'm having a hard time. Can someone please list all of them or tell me of a site that have them all listed?

Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1083 Posts
Posted 12/11/2022   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're generally going to be an "a" variant. So 1904 and 1904a, for example.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
11618 Posts
Posted 12/11/2022   10:26 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1981 Series is here
https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/19...ntifier.html

Also here
https://stampsmarter.org/features/Id_US_RegA.html
(click on 'View By Series' tab and then select 'Transportation)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3276 Posts
Posted 12/12/2022   8:26 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The early ones t(up thru 2150a) that came bot precanceled & not will indeed be listed as minor "a" numbers, but later (starting with 2231) where they were only issued one way, the precancels are given major numbers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2144 Posts
Posted 12/12/2022   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a site, but a book, the Scott US Specialized Catalog. This catalog of various recent years with 2023 the most recent should be in your local library if you do not have one nor can afford one. The most recent is likely the reference, non-circulating copy with the older one available to check out.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1386 Posts
Posted 12/13/2022   05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several years ago, I created a Quattro Pro spreadsheet that listed almost all of the transportation coil varieties listed in Scott. It has 176 entries ... an error variety or two may be missing as I haven't kept it up-to-date. The intent of the spreadsheet was to ensure that I didn't miss a single variety ... for a few years, I used it as a checklist. Once I had found most of the varieties, I ceased using it.
While I would be willing to share this info, there are a couple of things you should know. First, it undoubtedly includes far more varieties than you would like ... you might find it easier to just peruse a Scott catalogue at your local library. On the other hand, unlike the catalogue, where the different series appear on different pages, my list includes all the varieties that you could possibly want in a single location. Second, I used my own "shorthand" when describing the details (tagging varieties, gum types, imperf errors, tagging omitted errors ... all of these are listed), so I would need to include a brief "legend" describing these.
Quattro Pro has the ability to convert to an Excel spreadsheet or a text file, but I'm not sure how well that function works. The easiest way to share it would be by printing it to a text file which could then be transmitted as an e-mail attachment. Or even sent via snail-mail. If you are interested, let me know.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3844 Posts
Posted 12/13/2022   06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to share the worksheet, PNC3 may be interested in posting it on their web site.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
5020 Posts
Posted 12/13/2022   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Until Dj925 gets to 50 posts, we won't be able to share anything directly via email.

I too have made my own spread sheet for the transportation coils because:
they span multiple rate periods (6, from 18 cents to 32 cents), and
the blocks of Scott catalog numbers (5) do not break exactly with each major first class mail rate change.

IMO, the series tells a more accurate postal history "story" when sorted into rate period groupings.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8431 Posts
Posted 12/13/2022   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another good listing is found here: https://stampsmarter.org/features/Id_US_RegA.html

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
694 Posts
Posted 12/13/2022   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another site of interest: Plate Number Coil Collectors Club.

https://pnc3.org/
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 565Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05