Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Is The Mail For Which You Sent Postage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 430Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1997 Posts
Posted 12/26/2022   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These two covers have a "THIS IS THE MAIL FOR WHICH YOU SENT POSTAGE" stamp on the front.

The first cover appears to have a Postage Due 3 Cents stamp behind the 3-cent prexie. The second letter may have been intentionally underpaid by 1-1/2 cents, but has no postage due markings. Neither cover has any markings on the back.

I suspect both of the covers were mailed with a philatelic goal. Since neither has a return address, presumably the post office was compelled to request postage from the addressee. However, I'm wondering what action the post office would have taken to to request stamps from the point of origin.

I would appreciate any insights.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
11372 Posts
Posted 12/26/2022   4:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe these were originally returned as postage due and if possible then the postal patron would add the postage. If not possible, the PO office would try to collect the amount due from the recipient.
Once the additional postage was received, the item would be marked, "THIS IS THE MAIL FOR WHICH YOU SENT POSTAGE"
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1997 Posts
Posted 12/26/2022   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply, Don.

Since the sender didn't reveal their name, I don't see the originating post office being able to return the mail to the sender for payment of postage due. So I'm thinking that the recipient was somehow asked to send (through the mail) to the originating post office, the postage that was due. The eight-day span between Canton, Ohio postmarks could indicate that the post office sent correspondence to the addressee asking for postage, and the addressee replied by mailing the 3-cent prexie to the Canton postmaster.
Pillar Of The Community
4909 Posts
Posted 12/26/2022   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See this thread for examples of Form 3548 as the mechanism to get the stamp sent in for postage:
http://goscf.com/t/65748&whichpage=1&

In your examples, I doubt either was philatelic in intent:
#1: No postage paid, probably an accidental skip when the sender was stamping a pile of cards, apparently sealed thus 1st class, no return address: no choice but ask the recipient to pay to get their mail.
#2: not underpaid, but rather sent unsealed as single piece 3rd class. Not forwardable without repaying an additional 3rd class rate.

Here are some examples with dues, so not done with a Form 3548, thus there was apparently some difference in procedure depending on how far along the letter got in its journey before the due process started, etc. Bottom line, each due or forwarded piece should be evaluated on its own merits for the time period.

Totally unpaid unsealed 3rd class Christmas card. Nice use of half cent due stamp, J79.

An uncommon "Forwarding Postage Guaranteed" marking, so it went on quickly rather than waiting for postage to be sent back. Another nice use of J79.

Unsealed Christmas card, sent as single piece 3rd class in 1959. The irony to this: The first class sealed letter rate at the time was 4 cents, 3rd class was 3 cents, but without free forwarding, thus the thrifty sender saved a cent, cost the recipient 3 cents forwarding, and the USPOD got 6 cents total instead of 4.

Back closer to the "held for postage" & "This is the mail for which you sent postage" markings, here are two examples I have shown before.
The first is an attempt at paying a 2 cent local letter rate in 1941 and having it caught for the inter-city 3 cent rate.
The second cover attempted to use a pair of precancels without a permit and was caught/rated as unpaid and the 3 cents collected from the recipient.
Edited by John Becker - 12/26/2022 6:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1997 Posts
Posted 12/26/2022   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brilliant, John Becker! Thanks for your very thorough reply.
Pillar Of The Community
1491 Posts
Posted 12/27/2022   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker should be recognized as an SCF GOAT.
Pillar Of The Community
4909 Posts
Posted 12/27/2022   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, but I want to be a lower case goat sometimes too.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9784 Posts
Posted 12/27/2022   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there is something even higher than a GOAT than John is that. AND he can cook too!
Learn More...
United States
11372 Posts
Posted 12/27/2022   5:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John's name has been on the nomination list with 2 others; I was waiting for the new year before adding more folks. Since starting the GOAT acknowledgment, I did not want to add a lot of the existing GOATS all at once and have it feel too pedestrian.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2775 Posts
Posted 12/27/2022   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a thread were we are voting for Goats or even goats?
Learn More...
United States
11372 Posts
Posted 12/27/2022   8:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stampcrow,
SCF GOATS
http://goscf.com/t/82187
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2775 Posts
Posted 12/28/2022   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Don.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 430Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05