Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello From Canada Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 340Next Topic  

Canada
0 Posts
Posted 01/07/2023   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bowling guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just found my grandfathers stamp collection. I searched a few stamps from Australia and one seem to be valuable . was wondering if I could get some information to see if what I read was right . Will upload picture as soon as I figure out how.

Send note to Staff
Edited by bowling guy - 01/07/2023 8:15 pm

Valued Member
Spain
447 Posts
Posted 01/07/2023   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
Give me the link of what you have read so that I can read it, because like this I have a lot and I am giving them away; nearly 2.5 billion were printed.
Regards.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38182 Posts
Posted 01/07/2023   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fortune hunter ?
Not today
I'd suggest 10c at best

What always intrigues me, is where the information came from
enquiries never divulge that.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38182 Posts
Posted 01/07/2023   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

How do we explain,
"imperf 4 sides" (in pair) "Right hand stamp only imperf"

I find it hard to imagine, would that be a gutter pair
Any members seen it?
($660 1980)

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1388 Posts
Posted 01/07/2023   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a great way to research any stamp as the knowledgable moderator of this forum (51studebaker) usually states. Assume the most common and least expensive variety, and research and prove it is less common and more collectable; sought after and more valuable.

A common newbie mistake. And welcome bowling.guy to the forum.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
612 Posts
Posted 01/07/2023   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bowling guy,

Enjoy having fun with stamps! That is the name of this game. The greatest value your stamps have is that they came up through your family.

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.

My personal bias is a used stamp loses the story of its journey in the postal service when it is removed from the cover it transported to its destination. Collecting postal history adds a whole new aspect to your journey in our hobby.

Wishing you many enjoyable future days in our hobby. Russ
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1828 Posts
Posted 01/08/2023   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG includes under 206, a 206a. impf (pair) with note underneath:

No. 206a comes in horizontal pair with the right-hand stamp completely imperforate and the left-hand stamp imperforate at right only.

In sales auction results: https://www.allaboutstamps.co.uk/bu...cember-2019/
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38182 Posts
Posted 01/08/2023   02:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No. 206a comes in horizontal pair with the right-hand stamp completely imperforate and the left-hand stamp imperforate at right only.

Aha! Thanks, not so explicit in early ACSC .

Just between you and me, I think I can see perf dents in the top selvedge
Maybe a perf machine jump, and someone has applied the scissors

Edited by rod222 - 01/08/2023 02:27 am
Valued Member
Canada
218 Posts
Posted 01/08/2023   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it very interesting how almost on a daily basis there is a post from a newly registered member thinking that they have won the lottery by having inherited a valuable stamp or collection. 99% of the time disappointment sets in when members advise that the stamp is worth next to nothing and the new member is never heard from again. Makes me wonder and sad to consider what the most likely outcome is of the collection?

In this particular case only one common stamp of the collection is shown due to some form of misinformation that it could be really valuable. What about the rest of the collection? Perhaps there is something valuable, and then again perhaps there is not. I know a number of members usually give out encouragement that it is a good start to collecting for the enjoyment associated with it and to honour the grandfather's passion. Unfortunately, the inheritors usually just want to dispose of it, hopefully for a financial gain, but most likely in a trash bin if they don't hear of any value. It really is a shame and points out how important it is for the original collector to at least keep some form of summary for his/her heirs as to the CV, purchase price and any highlights of where any value might be. Without that, these type of postings and the associated disappointment will continue to rise as we collectors age and pass on.
Edited by PMStamp - 01/08/2023 1:29 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05