Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postal Cover Preparation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 179Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
5 Posts
Posted 01/25/2023   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gmsinger03 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I wanted to try for the first time to create my own postal cover, a
Fix stamps or let postal service fix. That said what type of envelopes should I use(type and size)? Can I print my own graphic/cachet to these type of envelopes? Where can I purchase them at?

Any-otherwise tips you may have based on your experience would be most welcomed

Many tnx - glen
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9488 Posts
Posted 01/25/2023   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can buy envelopes at thousands of retailers. The shape and size is your choice. You can stick the stamps on yourself. You can print your own cachet. Junk mail does it all of the time.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3061 Posts
Posted 01/25/2023   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fix stamps or let postal service fix.

You should be affixing your own stamps in most cases. Unless you have stamps and the desire to coordinate stamp designs and cancels, I suggest you use something light-colored and fairly neutral, i.e., the current US flags definitive/regular issue stamp.

May I ask, exactly what are sending away for?
US only?
first day covers?
normal city and town cancelled covers?
special event covers, with or without special cancels, like for stamp shows?
all of the above?
something else?

Quote:
That said what type of envelopes should I use(type and size)? Where can I purchase them at?

Already answered here:
http://goscf.com/t/83109
You need to add something inside the envelope to get a good cancel. A piece cut from a manila folder works well or use something of that weight and flexibility. Tuck in the envelope flap rather than sealing the envelope.

Quote:
Can I print my own graphic/cachet to these type of envelopes?

You sure can. Make sure the ink used doesn't repel whatever cancel ink might be used by the post office. Otherwise, a smear or smudge is guaranteed. Depending on what kind of covers you are after, you might try sending a cacheted cover to yourself first, as a test.

Other:
Address it in soft pencil, like an H or HB; that can be easily erased and should be tiny. You might prefer to have the cover not returned by regular mail; you might then not address the cover. Most collectors prefer these unaddressed and the chance of covers going through the mail being overcancelled with the usual spray cancel is pretty high. You'll then have to provide a return envelope of a proper size (with postage) for return. It wouldn't hurt to send everything with a short note saying you're providing an envelope for return.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 01/25/2023 10:29 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 179Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05