Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 24 & 25. Question About Watermarks, Laid Paper Etc.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 357Next Topic  

Canada
4 Posts
Posted 02/21/2023   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there! I am new here but have been on CCF for quite some time. I have been going through some old stamps and I am having difficulty on a few.

These two stamps are described in the collection as being watermarked, though I do not see any watermark like the crown you see on British stamps. All I see is a regular grid. I am not sure though if this grid is "woven" or "laid". The photos that I can find on line are ambiguous. In the case of the 3 cent, the paper is clearly different and thicker than some other that I have. Are they thin paper? Is something here watermarked? Laid paper? Any comments or thoughts most welcome.

Some different #25

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3167 Posts
Posted 02/22/2023   03:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First, have you used watermark fluid or Ronsonol to examine these? Because we won't be able to see anything by looking at the dry backs.

There are two possibilities for watermarks.
http://goscf.com/t/16647&whichpage=3
See posts on this page by Coriandre and gportch. A stitch watermark is an artifact from the papermaking process looking somewhat like a tire tread mark.

The other is a papermaker's watermark, outlined letters reading "E&G BOTHWELL / CLUTHA MILLS" of which only a part of some letters will normally show up. Example shown here:
http://goscf.com/t/23815

A search on "laid paper" on SCF gives this thread:
http://goscf.com/t/51786
The 3rd post shows what laid paper looks like in watermark fluid. It also shows wove paper in watermark fluid. Is that the grid you are talking about?

Nothing looks like thin paper here, which is also very porous, evident in watermark fluid.

I recommend you buy a Unitrade Canada catalog, new or used.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/22/2023 04:00 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38195 Posts
Posted 02/22/2023   05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First two are definitely wove paper.

The scan of 3 is too poor to comment
Edited by rod222 - 02/22/2023 05:31 am
Canada
4 Posts
Posted 02/22/2023   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smallcentguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tips. Obviously lots to learn and study if I am going to get back into stamps!
Valued Member
Japan
243 Posts
Posted 03/18/2023   05:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very informative post Hy-Brasil. And thanks for the topic smallcentguy. Exactly what I was looking for.

I picked up an album recently with classic U.S./Canada issues. The album was intricately customized with conditionally exceptional pieces, but then with some pretty junky looking pieces.

I thought there may have been a reason the collector added these into the album, and sure enough found that the 24 is the Bothwell watermark with diamond stitch paper:

This picture is not in WM fluid, but when it is the bottom appears to show the the topmost letters of BOT in reverse (I believe).
It's rather easy to see even without fluid because the stamp looks permanently wet
Edited by Stephen-P - 03/18/2023 05:37 am
Valued Member
Japan
243 Posts
Posted 03/18/2023   05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to ask about the 2 and 5c smalls in here as well, as they seem to be unique from each other in some way. Could you all take a look?

1st: Looks like horizontally ribbed paper

2nd: Looks rather normal

3rd: Pink paper

Valued Member
Japan
243 Posts
Posted 03/18/2023   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And now for the 5c's

1st: Has numerous indentions on the back

2nd: Looks normal

3rd: Has 4 circular indentions seen throughout (one underneath the hinge)

4th: Looks to be on the same diamond stitch WM paper as the 24

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05