Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada~The United Empire Loyalists.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24177 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Seek a good quality high res scan of this stamp please,
for my virtual album.

MUCH has been written in tribute to the heroism of those Americans who fought on the
side of the British during the American War of Independence (1775-83). Loyal to their
King and Empire, they could not stand by and see their country divided. Even though they
be called traitors and their lands and goods confiscated, and their very lives endangered,
they remained, faithful to their Sovereign.

At the close of the War, thousands and thousands of these loyal subjects were forced to
seek assistance at New York, the headquarters of the British forces under Sir Guy
Carleton. There they were cared for until arrangements could be made to have them
transported to British territory.

Canada, particularly Upper Canada (now Ontario) and the Province of Nova Scotia (then
including what is now the Province of New Brunswick), was selected as a fitting place for
these exiles to seek a happier home. On April 16th, 1783, the first fleet o( twenty
transports, many small and uncomfortable, sailed from New York for Nova Scotia under
command of Admiral Robert Digby.

Others spent two or three months on the journey, tramping through hundreds of miles of
wilderness where no white man had set foot before, bringing with them what little they
could in the line of cattle and household goods. Men and women, once rich, were now
penniless and half-starved, many of them too old to start anew, Every week saw more and
more of these loyalists pouring into small towns already crowded with refugees. Every
building in these small towns was used as a shelter, and many had to live in tents until
houses could be built. Many of these men and women could not stand the hard life they
were forced to endure on the trek to Canada and so paid for their loyalty with their lives.
The British Government, in order to compensate these loyal subjects for a part of their
losses, gave them thousands of acres of land and about fifteen million dollars in money.

These United Empire Loyalists are responsible for the building of many Canadian cities
and towns, cities and towns which will for ever remain as monuments to the courage and
strength of these men and women who faced great hardships rather than betray their
birthrights as subjects of the British Empire.

On Dominion Day, July I st, 1934, the Post Office Department of the Dominion
Government issued a 10 cent, olive-green stamp to commemorate the sesquicentennial of
the settlement in Canada of the United Empire Loyalists. The stamp depicts the famous
statue to the United Empire Loyalists in Princess Square, Hamilton, Ontario. This stamp
was awarded fourth place among the postage stamp designs of 1934 by a world consensus
of philatelists.

NORMAN J. GERAGHTY May 1939

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   04:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice :))
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24177 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a nice touch to have paid tribute to
the indigenous population as well.
There appears very little of it philatelically.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, I'm out of town for another week, but if nobody else sends you a scan, I'll do it once I get back home.

Ryan
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   11:04 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post Rod, you make me proud. I am a direct descendant of a United Empire Loyalist family that eventually settled in Bedeque, Prince Edward Island.

I cannot find my copy of Scott 209 that you show, I am sure someone will post it before I find it.

In 1984 Canada issued a stamp for the 200th anniversary - not as nice, but here it is (Scott/Unitrade 1028):

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Edited by BeeSee - 06/12/2010 11:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
2663 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
all is not lost BC you can still have your very own empire :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   11:37 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spock my Empire is in my stamp albums :)

Rod, here is a decent scan, but I still have not found my own copy :(

BeeSee in BC
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24177 Posts
Posted 06/12/2010   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the offer Ryan.
Cheers BeeSee, but I am sure you have to thank NORMAN J. GERAGHTY
I just passed on the story for him
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 06/13/2010   12:15 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod, I found it on the Canadian Postal Museum Archives with a cut and paste.
BeeSee in BC
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05