Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tibetan Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
Posted 07/18/2010   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Donna Merkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was watching a movie this afternoon on the Dalai Lama and it had me thinking about its stamps. It's a given that since the invasion of China in 1949 the country that we knew as Tibet is gone and is under China's rule.

So, did Tibet have stamps of its own before the invasion? With the Lama in exhile in India are stamps that have anything to do with Tibetan history printed from India or China or does China just ignore the Dalai Lama entirely as it stands? I have seen stamps from other countries that honor the Dalai Lama, but if I was to even consider making that a topical collection, from what country would my concentration be in?

Donna
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 07/18/2010   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Donna,
comments made during a discussion 2007
for your interest

You can purchase these from Glen Stephens if needed.

6. Tibet Govt in Exile 1974 UPU set 4, well printed,
with inset pictures of the present Dalai Lama.
Designed by Nelson Eustis (australia) (after a trip to personally organise it)
and Ted Roberts, in direct consultation with the Dalai Lama.
These stamps were officially recognised by both the UPU and
the Indian Govt, (where the Tibetan Government is based) until
protests from the Chinese Government forced them to be disallowed.
Examples of these semi-official stamps do exist on cover and are
extremely rare and command high prices.

You will have to check with glen stephens--old news.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 07/18/2010   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A tibet stamp, on an Austrian Personalised stamp

"curiouser and curiouser"

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5875 Posts
Posted 07/19/2010   06:59 am  Show Profile Check smauggie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamps and great info, Rod. Thanks!

I must admit a certain fondness for that Alice in Wonderland line.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 07/19/2010   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks smauggie,
it was chosen well,
that pesonalised stamp has a hidden microdot code
that identifies production date. (really!)

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 07/19/2010   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some not really very convincing forgeries of the first Tibetan stamps, but they'll give you an idea of what they looked like at least:

You can see a lot more of Tibetan stamps here: http://tibetanpost.com/tpost.php

And finally, a recent postcard from Lhasa. Not very well cancelled, but the Chinese for Lhasa is just discernible:

Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
Posted 07/19/2010   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Donna Merkle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, thanks for the pics on the few that were printed from Tibet. As much as I would like have a set I can see where they are unattainable. I'm sure Bill Gross has a finger on a set.

Now, where was that microdot you were talking about on the personalised stamp? Is this a Mission Impossible mission? As soon as you retrieve the info off the stamp it will self-destruct 10 seconds????

Tony, I would guess that the dog in the middle would be the Foo dog in the middle of the stamp? I know in most Asian cultures if there were a Buddhist temple these dogs were set to guard. They were usually seen in China and Japan, but in Japan they were portrayed more as the dragon dog.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 07/19/2010   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Donna, in fact the animal is supposed to be a lion. It's thought that, as the designer had never actually seen a lion, his ideas on what one might look like were influenced by a Tibetan mastiff.

On the other (Indian) side of the Himalayas, the mountain state of Bussahir, which is now part of India, also featured what was supposed to be a lion, but looks more like a tiger, and even more like my cat in a wild mood, in its stamps:

I guess lions were a bit thin on the ground in the Himalayas a hundred years ago.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 07/19/2010   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Donna, the microdots (plural) generally live around the
edge or borders of the stamps, sets of 40 50 dots
arranged in a code to identify production.
One has to go up to 1200 dpi just to see them.

If you are interested in the Chinese perspective on Tibet
I can post the scans of their issues. let us know.

Germany
3 Posts
Posted 02/05/2012   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22028 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings,

While searching on Google I found this old discussion and thought to post an answer. I am a collector of Tibet Stamps and postal History since almost 30 years.

The Cinderella's as shown in the first positing were never recognized by UPU and never been valid for posting. The few known covers with them are CTO.

The Austria stamp showing a Tibetan stamp was issued on my behalf..., still have a few for sale/trade and, needless to say, I am always interested in better Tibet material for my collection.

Please review the rules.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 02/26/2018   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:

Sc#13 1933 emerald ($110) in between 2 x Sc#18a green ($60 ea) 24mm x 24mm
4 Trangka issues.
Handmade cover.

A little concerned no Pmk carried to the cover from the stamps.

Edited by rod222 - 02/26/2018 03:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 02/26/2018   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote: A little concerned no Pmk carried to the cover from the stamps.

Indeed ...
Valued Member
India
196 Posts
Posted 02/26/2018   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

A little concerned no Pmk carried to the cover from the stamps.

Little concerned???
It is a bogus cover.

The forger wrote down that the cover was sent from Gyantse whereas the middle stamp shows Waterfall type VIII/Haverbeck type XI/Hellrigl type T42/Holmes type VII date stamp of Lhasa.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 02/26/2018   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous!
thanks Tony, thank Joy.

Placing your comments on Album page, adj to the forged cover.
Appreciate your vast knowledge on a very difficult area for me.

Any opinion on the stamps? I measured the outer ones at 24mm
I should imagine the stamps are glued to the cover, otherwise any consideration for removal?
How would you address the situation?

Edited by rod222 - 02/26/2018 4:18 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05