Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Egypt Sphinx Issue With Strange Marking

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 3,500Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 07/05/2017   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see those hats on Egypt stamps and Indonesia, is that hat have a name ???
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/05/2017   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see those hats on Egypt stamps and Indonesia, is that hat have a name ???

Egypt : Fez?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fez
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5105 Posts
Posted 07/05/2017   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Malay term is 'songkok'. My memory is that Kemal tried to stamp out fez-wearing as part of his efforts to modernise and secularise Turkey.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
24th August 1914
Paquebot (Packet Boat) Port Said.
T=Taxe auxilliary marking (no backstamp) no postage due?

Stationery paper : Sussex secretive.
Evidence of mounting by sellotape

Edited by rod222 - 07/13/2017 6:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
869 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Egypt : Since the very first issue until 1914 (48 years)
there was a pyramid on every stamp but 1!

The first Khedive issue had no Sphinx or Pyramid!

Nice cover, and pretty rare I believe!
Edited by Laurie 02 - 07/13/2017 9:58 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Lawrence,

Quote:
The first Khedive issue had no Sphinx or Pyramid!

Can we have a date or SG number please? not au fait with that naming convention.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1501 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   03:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be Egypt SG 1-7, issued from Jan 1, 1866. They do not have a visible Sphinx or Pyramid. However, SG 1-3 and 5-7 have a Pyramid watermark. More about the first issue is in this thread. There are some dead links.

http://goscf.com/t/28983
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   04:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely solved.
That would be the 1pi lilac -rose, I guess.

Quote:
SG 1-3 and 5-7 have a Pyramid watermark.

Therein lied the teaser.

Lawrence was correct then.
I think the original cartoon of the Pyramids, came from Mr. Monty Wedd. (Stamp Oddities)
Perhaps he missed that one
Edited by rod222 - 07/14/2017 04:44 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Adhesive Stamps
The most Cosmopolitan Stamps.
Definitives of Egypt 1867

Designed by Frederick Hoff of Hirschberg in Silesia and Lithographed by the French printer, Victor Penasson, at Alexandria, they were inscribed in Arabic.

Later (1872) stamps were also inscribed in Italian, because the head of the Egyptian Postal Service at the time, was an Italian, Giacomo Muzzi.

The Guiness Book of Facts and Feats : James Mackay.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   04:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Khedives? on the Left, and the Pyramids on them RHS.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
869 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That would be Egypt SG 1-7, issued from Jan 1, 1866. They do not have a visible Sphinx or Pyramid. However, SG 1-3 and 5-7 have a Pyramid watermark. More about the first issue is in this thread. There are some dead links.

I bow in the presence of greatness, I forgot about the watermark!

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hehehe.
Kudos goes to the Aussie, Monty Wedd.

Cannot locate his catalogue just yet. The Library is a veritable mess.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
869 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Designed by Frederick Hoff of Hirschberg in Silesia and Lithographed by the French printer, Victor Penasson, at Alexandria, they were inscribed in Arabic.

I like the first Penasson sphinx and pyramid design with the column and obelisk.

This is my small collection of them. I need the 5 Piastre or PE to complete this set however, it is proving elusive for me, both in price and condition!

Cheers
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Fabulous stamps Lawrence,
any schoolboy seeing those in my day, was filled with wonder.
Stuff of dreams.

I actually had thought the "Khedives" were perhaps the Pyramid and Sphinx
with "Khedive" inscriptions.
So I learnt something else today.

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2740 Posts
Posted 09/29/2020   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello: Does anyone have the different characteristics of the 4 types of the sphinx & pyramid issue of 1867 ?
Sometimes I forget what I have;found the descriptions it in my archives..
Edited by perf12 - 09/29/2020 11:48 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 3,500Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05